Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

salzburg , salzburg
belt line which rivets?

Hi, I am in the middle of a i can't believe how much work this is situation!! (shell off new frame!) and would like to know on the 69 tradewind the belt line and the trim which goes over the wheel house which rivets are used? as when i took mine off it had pop rivets?, should i stick with them or go to buck rivets? also if anyone knows should the corner banana skins be under the body as in next to the flooring or over the body, as when i pulled it apart they were over the body which even with my limited knowledge seems like a recipe for disaster, i hope i posted in the right spot! many thanks,
Rich.
mrgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
My '72 is put together the same way.
Blue painted pop rivets for the belt line trim.
I was also surprised that the banana wraps were allied on top of the shell. I've put a thin bead of sealer where the pieces meet.
One thing I did not like, and am in the process of changing, is that the trim strips over the wheel wells were pop riveted to the plastic wheel well liner and have all pulled loose.
I'm using a backing strip of 1/16th inch aluminum to sandwich the plastic between the metal in an attempt to stiffen the sidewall and prevent the liner from tearing out anymore than it already has.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I put mine under the skin. you can see how I did it on the thread below
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote