Old 09-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hampden , Maine
Ah yes, is (was?) a migrating black feathered dent warbler. Can be repaired. Just a glitch in the life of an Airstream.
airmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Looks like a Northern Flathead Albatross strike to me.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
A trailer name suggestion: The Birderer.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Napa , California
First long trip, a hawk ran into our GT. Luckily he hit the rock guard and flipped away from the trailer. Two blocks from finally getting home, and we were only going 25 mph! He left a gentle crease and a reminder that birds don't watch the traffic. The rabbit he was after at the side of the road was smiling and applauding though.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
I zoomed in on your feather- it appears to be black, so disregard the Falcon suggestion. Vultures and crows are not very classy, unless you translate to the French: le corbeau or le vautour.
Was it raining that day? Perhaps a loon mistook you trailer for a body of water. “Loon Landing” has a nice ring to it.
Maybe a twist on the family name: Ravenford?
If you are wondering, our trailer does not have a name .
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
If you're not laughing you're crying.

1. Anyone else had their AS dented by a bird?
2. Any idea based on this singular feather what type of bird ran into me?

Now is the time to help me name my Airstream based on the bird who met it's demise.

Attachment 379355Attachment 379356
How about “Splat”?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Pine Plains , NY
What's in a name???

JRad, sorry for the first ding to your lovely trailer – but at least you have it out of the way, and according to the Dent Doctors who have assessed your damage in this thread, it seems like a trip to Harbor Freight and you will be as good as new!

Now, about the use of this bird incident to name your trailer….

At first, I was like, Why? A bird whose flight path takes it into a window is an omen of death. But, technically, this bird missed the window, and as Batman points out, you are very lucky…

That got me to thinking about the problems down at JFK and LaGuardia airports, where the Port Authority has had to instill measures to combat “bird strikes” such as the one that Capt Sully and his passengers amazingly survived after crash landing in Hudson River [nice reference, GetawA-S]

And if a bird poops on your head (which is kind of where this bird landed – on the head of your ‘stream), it is a sign of good luck.

So, suggestion #!: Luckystrike

[Lucky Strike, as a Forum moniker has already been claimed.]

But, was it luck or some force field surrounding your trailer? I rather liked the more positive spin, and so, riffing off of your current Forum name, JRad, I thought…

Suggestion #2: R.A.D. Force or RAD Force or RAD Force I

R.A.D. is an acronym for Road and Dirt, so depending on how you plan to use your trailer, that could have appeal.

And RAD is a slang term for something that is “totally excellent” as an Airstream is.

Or in this context, RAD could be code for “Realizing Airstream Dream” 

Continuing the JRad Rif…

Suggestion #3: Radbird or RADbird

And riffing on the use of the word bird in a word… “For the Birds”, “Big Bird” and “OrniAir” came to mind, but quickly hit the cutting room floor for likely obvious reasons…

But then, as I kept riffing on, Bird Bath kept popping into mind …but it seemed like such a downer to memorialize the fact that a bird had “taken a bath” on the front of your trailer…and then, this came to mind:

Suggestion #4: Bird Bash

Yes, it gives a nod to the moment you wanted to remember, but also evokes a party!

“Bash - a party or celebration, especially a large one held by an official organization...”

So, regardless of what you decide to name him/her, here’s hoping that every day in your Airstream is party.
WBCCI #4597
VAC Region 2

------------------
Restoration of my 1966 Caravel: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f13...on-210688.html
Start at Post #7.
Flostream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I had some similar incidents. Not as bad as the one you have on the front though. I have left the dents at front as they aren't that bad. Although I did brush against some branches quite hard this summer causing 3 long creases one 24inches long in the rear quarter panel. I contacted my dealer and they said it wasn't a candidate for PDR since it was too dented. So my MB dealer put me contact with their PDR guy. He was able to pull all of out without going inside. He used glue tabs. It wasn't cheap but less than the deductible on my policy. In the end it wasn't perceptible for someone who didn't know. Otherwise if you look close you can still see a bit of the crease. But overall we a pleased with the results given what we started with. Now I'd like to get rid of the dents in the stone guards. One got quite dented when a truck drove by the other way. I think he had a strap dangling and it hit the trailer quite hard as I heard it in the TV. I guess if you tow and drive to the remote sites you will get damage, as I found out this summer when the grader left me a surprise coming around a corner. Lots if huge boulders. No where to go and couldn't stop in time I ran them over. It took out the underside of the car damaging the underside the brake lines and the gas tank. Not a cheap repair replacing the tank and all the stone guards. Oh well.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #29
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
Very entertaining thread. Some great input from the crowd.
Well...the name after all of this?
CC

Silver Bird
BB (bye birdie)
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:17 PM   #30
dropped rivet in grass

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tarzan , Texas
I've had quail fly out of roadside weeds and smash into my motorcycle speedometer and render it useless. and doves have dinged headlights on the truck and cracked windshields on various vehicles. At least I missed that turkey flying low across the roadway, that would have been bad no matter where it hit. I know a guy who hit a buzzard that smashed through his windshield and landed in the front passenger seat where it promptly barfed the contents of its recently eaten meal.

Ah, birds.
Tall Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Pigeon, without a doubt. Also know as rock doves, which is nicer than the street version of “rats with wings”. Actually quite an amazing bird that can fly 70 MPH and can find home if dropped hundreds of miles away and tossed to the winds. Heavy bird and that is why the dent is good sized.

I would refer to your baby as Thump
Traded in 2016 Sport 16, 2019 Sport 22
As they say, third AS is what to buy first
Garfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Several years ago we were driving along a remote road in Nevada in moderate rain, and I thought I saw two kids standing on the shoulder. Quickly. One of the kids transformed into a Golden Eagle, and took flight. The second imaginary kid-eagle rose up two feet and flew directly into our rock guard, and bounced along our rig into the verge. We were being followed, and couldn't stop to assess damage, but soon discovered our rock guard had a two foot dent into the body of the front panel. We guessed we hit a 20lb+ bird? It was an expensive repair...
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:41 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Davis , California
Name her Bodega after the Birds movie
4taxabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:44 PM   #34
mweberg

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Any Ornithologists Out There?

This looks like possibly a feather from a crow or other large black scavenger. Dear would indicate same. IMHO...
mweberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I'm thinking Rodan hit you.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #36

2019 Basecamp
Lyndonville , VT
Bird feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRadford View Post
If you're not laughing you're crying.

1. Anyone else had their AS dented by a bird?
2. Any idea based on this singular feather what type of bird ran into me?

Now is the time to help me name my Airstream based on the bird who met it's demise.

Attachment 379355Attachment 379356
Not much to go on by but my best guess is a crow, Red-winged Blackbird or Grackle. If it was small and by water, it was probably the RWB If it was large, a crow.
Bill.Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Yes!

Super C Class we were following out West hit a large black bird hit his Rig. It was tossed up in the air and it then tossed back, it’s beak put a quarter size hole in my left ft window Rock shield!
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote