Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 AM   #1

1986 32' Excella
Punta Gorda , Florida
aluminum repair

Has anyone out there had experience with buying and replacing the outside upper corner panels on airstreams? My was damaged and I can't locate anyone to do this repair except Airstream shops. Costly. Insurance company will no go there. Help!
allynallyn
allynallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
It can be done. some one on the forum may be able to give you some info. Last year at the renovation rally in Alburquerque the replaced some panels . Didn't seem impossible. I think I would try it if I need to. I just am not proficient to tell you how but some one may be able to. It would be nice if you could make it to the renovation rally this year in June in Alburquerque this year there will be alot of info disscussed and its hands on!
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynallyn View Post
Has anyone out there had experience with buying and replacing the outside upper corner panels on airstreams? My was damaged and I can't locate anyone to do this repair except Airstream shops. Costly. Insurance company will no go there. Help!
allynallyn
Your insurance company, by contract, must pay to repair your Airstream.

They could refuse, if they thought you bought it that way.

To replace the segments, is not a big deal, once to learn how to do it, "PROPERLY".

Unless you know how, step by step, the simple answer
is "DON'T".

Segments cost several hundreds of dollars each, and are not forgiving if you make a mistake.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Bethel , Vermont
Send a message via AIM to Folkie53 Send a message via Yahoo to Folkie53
I feel your pain

I had to have mine worked on extensively and could find no one that wanted to or that I could truly trust in our neck of the woods. I bit the bullet and towed it up to Colin Hydes' place up near the Canadian border and told him to just fix it. He and his crew did a great job and I have never been sorry. On budget and under time too. You just can't beat that.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
..you can also remove the interior "end cap" and push the dent out from inside, although you'll probably be left with a slight wrinkle or line where the aluminum has stretched from the denting.. depends on how cherry you want your rig to look... many good threads on both types of repair..

...the repair is also detailed in the Service Manual (what the shops use) which is much more detailed than your owner's manual...they can be hard to find and pricey (40 bucks and up)..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Brighton , Michigan
I have a small dent in the front of my CCD international. I'm located in Palmetto, FL and would like to find someone to repair the small dent. The small dent is 3x5. any info please let me know
brucebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebrew View Post
I have a small dent in the front of my CCD international. I'm located in Palmetto, FL and would like to find someone to repair the small dent. The small dent is 3x5. any info please let me know
Is the dent a gentle one or is it sharply indented or creased? Depending, you may be able to simple and effectively pull it out with a suction cup.

When we bought our AS, I didn't realize it but there was a dent in the end cap not really visible from the ground - I'm guessing someone was up on the roof and either kneeled or stepped on the end cap, not supposed to do that!

It pulled out very easily with a suction cup puller I have that is maybe 4" diameter. You could likely get one at a Harbor Freight or similar.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Jd sanders in Alachua just north of Gainesville is an AS dealer and does body work. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote