Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
aluminum panel replacement in central west missouri?

Hi, I had some rear panel damage on my excella classic motorhome and is covered by insurance. Anyone know of a shop near Sedalia Missouri 65301?
Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Madisonville , Kentucky
Damage

Airstream only has one place in Missouri, Wentzville. None in Kansas, only 1 in Tennessee, which is Cookeville. I know Cookeville does body repair work, but don't know about Wentzville. They have an 800 number you can find on line. Bill Thomas is the name of the dealership.
BSmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Yea, I was trying to avoid a drive across missouri to Wentsville with current fuel costs just to get an estimate.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
Yea, I was trying to avoid a drive across missouri to Wentsville with current fuel costs just to get an estimate.
Have you given any thought to Airstream of Arkansas? They may be a little closer, and according to my map, it's downhill to there...
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
You don't need to get an estimate.

You should notify your insrance company of the loss, and, where the motorhome will be.

They will assign an adjuster from that area to visit the dealer, get the estimate, and to approve the estimate. They would also make out a 2 party draft, and send it to the dealer. When you pick up your coach, all you should have to do, is sign the insrance company draft, pay your deductible, and be on your way.

That's the easy way.

The difficult way, is to get an estimate, send it to your insurance company along with photo's. They would approve the estimate (maybe) and mail you a draft, less your deductible. From that, you make the second trip to the dealer.

You could also ask the dealer to make an estimate based on photo's you send them. The estimate would be mailed back to you, and you in turn send the estimate to the insurance company. They still may want to inspect the coach.

The problem doing it the latter way, is once the dealer see's the coach, if the estimate has to be modified, then you will start all over again.

A word to the wise. Let the dealer negotiate with the insurance company. They have the right answers as to what needs to be done. Seldom can the owner be successful doing that.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Unfortunately, the insurance company could reject the dealer and then I'm out a bunch of gas money. Hoping to find a repair shop nearby. Will go talk to the shop at the local airport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream damage 001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	59550   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream damage 002.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	59551  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream damage 003.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	59552   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream damage 004.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	59553  

Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
_

. , .
-one formed cap segment...

--two lower corner panels...

3-5,000 bucks (closer to 5 than 3)...

and the panels will NOT match perfectly for shine/sheen/appearance.

A o A does great work...

or stop at the factory in o HI o...

regardless who does it, done correctly will cost some moo-la!

but IF it isn't leaking water (at these segments) why fix it?

NEXT!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
Unfortunately, the insurance company could reject the dealer and then I'm out a bunch of gas money. Hoping to find a repair shop nearby. Will go talk to the shop at the local airport.
You have the right to choose who does the repairs.

If you select an Airstream dealer with a good reputation, then the company will deal with the dealer, not you.

From what I can see, you have 3 losses, so be prepared to pay 3 deductibles, unless you can prove otherwise.

Also each panel costs about $1200.00, to replace.

You could have a problem with the insurance company, depending on when you reported the losses, compared to the date of loss for each panel.

They do have the right to refuse a claim if not reported within a reasonable period of time.

Most companies will say "no" after one year or so.

When a loss occurs, it should always be promptly reported.
When you actually have it repaired, then doesn't matter.

Unless the shop you pick knows exactly how to remove those panels, since they are also held in place with "blind" rivets, you are standing on a soap box begging for trouble.

Take the coach to an authorized Airstream dealer and save yourself many headaches.

Andy
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Try calling Out of Door's Mart, our only AS dealer in NC.
They do body work.
ODM replaced 2 skin segments on my Avion years ago.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
thanx for the info! I've no deductible for comprehensive, it's covered by comprehensive since it was vandalized, and my insurance is USAA. I reported the damage in 4 days so OK there. I guess it's just a matter of how far to travel for repairs and the loss of time and fuel. May have to wait till the summer is over. Moved from Virginia, starting new job, buying another house, moving stuff, selling house, very busy. My motorhome sat in my yard in VA for years with minor damage. Sits in yard of rental house for 6 weeks and gets damages. Uggh.

What are blind rivits? Hidden? I was thinking it may be easier to just use a suction cup to ease the top panel dent out or just leave it. Only the bottom panels bug me.

By the way,my rig was a blast to drive 1100 miles from VA to MO. Had to try hard not to run over 60 mph it really wanted to roll with little effort. I've only done short trips since I've owned it. Was going to sell it. But now that it's in Mo, I'm keeping it.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
thanx for the info! I've no deductible for comprehensive, it's covered by comprehensive since it was vandalized, and my insurance is USAA. I reported the damage in 4 days so OK there. I guess it's just a matter of how far to travel for repairs and the loss of time and fuel. May have to wait till the summer is over. Moved from Virginia, starting new job, buying another house, moving stuff, selling house, very busy. My motorhome sat in my yard in VA for years with minor damage. Sits in yard of rental house for 6 weeks and gets damages. Uggh.

What are blind rivits? Hidden? I was thinking it may be easier to just use a suction cup to ease the top panel dent out or just leave it. Only the bottom panels bug me.

By the way,my rig was a blast to drive 1100 miles from VA to MO. Had to try hard not to run over 60 mph it really wanted to roll with little effort. I've only done short trips since I've owned it. Was going to sell it. But now that it's in Mo, I'm keeping it.
USAA will take care of you very well.

The end shells of your Airstream have blind rivets in them.

The top of the shells are attached to a main bow, by using blind or flush rivets. The other end of the segments are attached to framing behind the windows, with the blind rivets.

The roof, window and lower panels cover up those rivets.

If all the visible rivets are drilled out on any segment, it won't move or come off the trailer.

The blind rivets can be reached by cutting the metal a couple of inches before the main bow and windows, then folded outward.

You then insert a putty knife between the metal and main bow or window frame, and shear the blind rivets in half, as well as cut thru the Vulkem sealer thats on the backside that you cannot see.

That information is good to know, when your dealing with an "inexperienced" adjuster.

If that adjuster can't tell you "EXACTLY" what you must do to remove a segment, then he or she is not qualified to make the estimate, PERIOD.

That leaves out the typical RV shop too, because they don't have a clue of what you must do to replace a segment.

Andy