Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
San Diego , California
63 Safari Roof Dents

First time poster- first time Airstream owner. Please be gentle!

Just bought this 63 Safari and was wondering what to do about these roof dents. I also need to replace the back window.

Also, any tips on reasonable rates for help in San Diego with stripping the clear-coat and polishing the skin.

Thanks much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-10-07 011.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	54118  
hockeyrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrink
First time poster- first time Airstream owner. Please be gentle!

Just bought this 63 Safari and was wondering what to do about these roof dents. I also need to replace the back window.

Also, any tips on reasonable rates for help in San Diego with stripping the clear-coat and polishing the skin.

Thanks much!
First of all, you do not have a 63.

You do have a 66 or 67.

Also the roof is not damaged, but the sections on the front and rear shell are called segments. Your photo shows damage to some segments.

We purchased all the 68 and older segments from Airstream many years ago.

Also, the box on the rear end will cause several problems.

First, it will cause rear end separation, if it already hasn't. If it has, then at least part of the rear floor will need to be replaced.

Also, that box will cause the frame around the rear access door to open up, which will allow the door to fall off.

Next, that box has also reduced the tongue weight to some degree or other.

The segments can be replaced.

Removing the clear coat, is no problem. Polishing the shell is very expensive, and becomes a headache to maintain.

If you live withing 50 miles of salt water, you will need to wax the trailer, every week. If you keep the trailer at least 50 miles from salt water, then you will need to wax the trailer once every month.

Or, you can have it polished and then clearcoated again. But, clearcoat will only last about 5 years, depending on the climate that it's kept in. This is the most expensive option.

Or, you can have it painted metallic silver, wax it once a year, and it will last at least 20 to 25 years. This costs far less than stripping, polishing and then clearcoating. It is also less expensive than stripping the trailer and just polishing it.

Since the trailer is new to you, it would be wise to get a "safety inspection."

A safety inspection is not expensive, and will give you a detailed written report of everything that is wrong with the trailer, and the approximate costs to correct whatever may be wrong. Or you can do the repairs yourself, once you know what all the trailer needs.

We also the all the tempered glass for the 66, 67 and 68 trailers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
San Diego , California
Himmmm....interesting! Does the fact it is a 66 or 67 make much of a difference?

Can you give me an idea of the cost to have it painted metallic silver? It will be near the ocean, and my goal is too have it look good, not be a slave to it!

Also, I am in Valley Center. Is there someone you would recommend for a safety inspection? (Escondido, San Marcos?) I am not oppossed to taking the box off. The last owner did put sway controls on the trailer.

Thanks for your help!
hockeyrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrink
Himmmm....interesting! Does the fact it is a 66 or 67 make much of a difference?

Can you give me an idea of the cost to have it painted metallic silver? It will be near the ocean, and my goal is too have it look good, not be a slave to it!

Also, I am in Valley Center. Is there someone you would recommend for a safety inspection? (Escondido, San Marcos?) I am not oppossed to taking the box off. The last owner did put sway controls on the trailer.

Thanks for your help!
The cost to paint your Airstream, depends on it's exterior condition.

We are the onlt dealer that has a 200 point safety inspection program. We have had that program for over 20 years.

A non-Airstream dealer, or a dealer that just does basic service, will not have a clue, about a safety inspection.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
tinhutjohn

1974 29' Ambassador
London , Ontario
Have a listen to either the last or the one before last of the Vintage Airstream Podcast. They did a list of alternative ways of removing dents.
I agree, get that huge box off the rear bumper!
Sarge
Logan the Large hairy Golden Retriever

It's a monocoque thing
You wouldn't understand

tinhutjohn is offline   Reply With Quote