Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Austin , Texas
'62 Bambi first panel replacement...

So here is my first post and a long over dew one for that matter. Ive owned my 62 Bambi (L.A factory) for 5 months now and have had a great time reading all the information from many fellow airstream owners. Ive just recently replaced the rear compound curve panel with an OG panel thanks to Andy and Michele over at Inlandrv. It fits nicely but I have run out of day light so I will post some more pictures of my work when i have more day light.
Attached Images

mattjamest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
rear compound curve panel with an OG panel thanks to Andy and Michele over at Inlandrv
WHAA? i was just told today the pre-68 NOS panels were "NOT FOR SALE". did you buy the NOS or the 1969 - 82 segments?

did you use olymics or remove endcap and buck it?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Austin , Texas
NJtoNC

I ordered from InlandRv about a month ago 3 curved panels fresh off the factory line 51 years ago(uncut, kinda scratched and not looking super great). The first three arrived crumpled from the delivery company. I was told on re-order that they had 3 left in the inventory. I'm trusting InlandRv. Basically I may have gotten the last 3. Who have you been looking at for panels?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Oh... and yes I used Olympic rivets shaved them down and look super good. I'm a one man show so even though I wanted to "Buck" it's impossible solo.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
hmmm... at first they said they had some in stock - same story - 50 yrs old , sorta scratched - but today they sent back this email :

SEG. #6 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG. #7 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG. #8 - 91080 - $495.00
SEG. #9 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG #10 - $2295.00 - NOT FOR SALE

im looking for salvaged trailer panels...they are reasonable cost but expensive to ship. cant find any just yet though.. i'm glad you got yours. do you know who the shipping co was? thanks for the info.

Edit: how did you come across your bambi? got other photos? looks nice from the bit we can see so far!
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Well being the rarity and limited availability of those panels. ...Those prices are crazy but I'm not to sure what your trailer is requiring. I'm not sure I understand the quote of a price only to say there unavailable? Also the 3 I paid for were not cheap what so ever!!! Also shipping company was Estes I was the first damaged order in 20 years... My luck. I drove 6000 miles to get my Bambi. And yes ill put some more pictures up. Don't no why my profile picture is not showing?

Let me no what your looking for I may have some details about salvage here in Texas.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
hmmm... at first they said they had some in stock - same story - 50 yrs old , sorta scratched - but today they sent back this email :

SEG. #6 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG. #7 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG. #8 - 91080 - $495.00
SEG. #9 - $1495.00 - NOT FOR SALE
SEG #10 - $2295.00 - NOT FOR SALE

im looking for salvaged trailer panels...they are reasonable cost but expensive to ship. cant find any just yet though.. i'm glad you got yours. do you know who the shipping co was? thanks for the info.

Edit: how did you come across your bambi? got other photos? looks nice from the bit we can see so far!
Our office customer service ladies are not supposed to get involved with technical matters.

We have many segments for the pre 1968 trailers, but not all of them. In most cases, a substitute can be used.

I assure you that we will have a metting tomorrow about this matter.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote