Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

2014 27' FB International
AMARILLO , TX
2014 international rib and replacement sources for rolled-over damage

Hi All.
Here it is three in the morning and can't sleep thinking about the things I need to repair my 2014 international 27fb I just bought from the salvage pool.
I have searched for ribs, support rails, channel etc and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I'll post the pics of the damage below

Question 1
Exterior skin on this new trailer should be 2024 .040 according to all info? I found several suppliers, anything near Amarillo TX?
Question 2
Rivets are solid ms20470ad mainly 5-4 thru 6 but they all seem to be coated in gold like protected. Can you order bare aluminium?
Question 3
If I replace the skin that was damaged, thinking about just hammer and dollying after ribs are replaced, is it possible to polish the rest of the trailer and will it match? Can I find replacement skin with the same protected finish as the rest of the AS or is it a sprayed on product?

dnavcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Recent Airstream skins have been made with protective coating put on in the mill. You will need to buy replacement panels to retain the original look. Otherwise, buy new ribs and buck rivet the old skins to the new frames after gently straightening the skins. No pounding, or they will stretch. The unit will be functional but not as pretty as original.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnavcrew View Post
Hi All.
Here it is three in the morning and can't sleep thinking about the things I need to repair my 2014 international 27fb I just bought from the salvage pool.
I have searched for ribs, support rails, channel etc and cant seem to find what I'm looking for. I'll post the pics of the damage below

Question 2
Rivets are solid ms20470ad mainly 5-4 thru 6 but they all seem to be coated in gold like protected. Can you order bare aluminium?
Question 3
If I replace the skin that was damaged, thinking about just hammer and dollying after ribs are replaced, is it possible to polish the rest of the trailer and will it match? Can I find replacement skin with the same protected finish as the rest of the AS or is it a sprayed on product?
Anodized rivets were used to construct your Airstream.

They are available from parts stocking dealers.

The sheetmetal is precoated.

Replacement metal is exactly the same that was used to construct your Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I'll try answer your questions one at a time
1) With that new of a trailer parts will have to come from Airstream
2) The rivets used on this trailer are not MS20470's but they can be used. The coating is an Alodine type product and will come off with little effort.
3) You've got this question backward, The skin will have to be replaced and I believe it is 3003 aluminum with an Airstream propitiatory coating only available through Airstream. The ribs can most likely be re formed with hand tools.

Good luck
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

AMARILLO , TX
Interior removal

Well I spent yesterday checking the various systems, plumbing, etc. everything seems to be in working order. I need to purchase a weight distribution hitch and stabilizer but for in town right now I'm holding off. Those are expensive. A local place recommended a husky system with a stabilizer for around 400. They told me it will do the job well and for a lot less money. Any thoughts. What's the cost vs safety or value line. Keep in mind I'm a lic comm driver similar with trailer towing. I own a 18 ft steel bumper pull flat bed. My excursion has ok brake controller, I'm adding bags and stabilizer.
Now I'll be posting pics of the interior removal and repair process. Today I'm removing the front cabinets and bed. I'm using a portapower to lightly push the frame out on the A hitch, just needs a 1/2 inch and inside Ill get the ribs just a little unloaded so I can start removing the parts.
Steve at north Dallas rv's supplied a window and said he can order the ribs from AS. He has a pass side skin roll ready.
Btw question. Solid or Olympic rivets? He told me to use Olympic . Also what are the sizes of the skin rivets on AS. Ext 5/32 and pop style is ?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
DANIEL WILLIAM WEGGESSER

AMARILLO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Recent Airstream skins have been made with protective coating put on in the mill. You will need to buy replacement panels to retain the original look. Otherwise, buy new ribs and buck rivet the old skins to the new frames after gently straightening the skins. No pounding, or they will stretch. The unit will be functional but not as pretty as original.
Would of has any one used PDR, the Roller hand tool or dry ice for dent removal?
I have used some of these methods as well as shot bags plastic, hammers with good results only in interior aircraft panels. For aircraft exterior skins on the ones I worked on they didn't allow " dent pushing". Of course those skins were alloyed with high strength 2024 t3 and others so they had a tendency to oil can if you tried. I had success with dry ice on very difficult parts like engine cowls but only under an engineering approval anyway I just wondered what experience you all have had removing small dents with AS skin?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
This roller. made by Aerowood

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ler-87127.html
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote