Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
1959 28' Ambassador

The skin on the front entry side has a cut that is 3" long. The top entry side has a cut that is 5" long. I think the best thing to do is to cut some alumimum to patch these areas; silacone, patch and rivit. Is that correct?
The rear curve entry side will need to be replaced with new alumimum. SUGGESTIONS??
urb2165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
panel repairs.

I think you panel patch idea i good. BUT, .make sure the patch is nicly cut and the the rivets have a good pattern. You can do a great job of it wit Olympic rivets. DO NOT use silicone sealant. Use the recommended Vulkem (or gutter sealant.) The rear curved cap, I'm afraid, has to be replaced.....or straighten it the best you can and live with it. A good story about how you got that "War Wound" will go a long way to making it more acceptable.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
How about posting some pictures of your skin damage. This will help us determine the best course of action for repair.

Love the '59's.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
WOW... I do appreciate all of your suggestions.
Just how do I go about posting photos here for you to see. I do need help.
The previous owner allowed someone to move in. Looks to me that they removed the end cap and cut the belly skin to modify the plumbing toilet vent. Soooooooooooo I want to correct this issue. If I ever get the photos up loaded you will see to I assume plumbing vent pipes within a few feet of the entry steps. I've never seen this before. I plan to redo all of the plumbing so everything exits the back side of this camper.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Follow these instructions on how to add photos to a thread:

How to Add Photos to a Post
When creating a thread or posting a reply, scroll down below the text box to the 'Additional Options' area.
Click "Manage attachments." A separate window will pop up.
Click "Browse." Then select the file from your computer to be uploaded. Be sure that the photo is appropriately sized. 1600 x 1600 pixels (or smaller) and no more than 3 Meg. Forums software will automatically reduce the size, but smaller size photos will upload much faster. You may select several photos to upload at the same time by repeating the last step.
Click "Upload." After pics have loaded close the pop-up window
Complete your post. Click "submit reply" to mount the text of your message - photos will automatically appear at the bottom of your post.
How to add a photo in the middle of a post's text
Follow steps 1 through 4 of the above instructions for one or more images.
As you are typing your post and reach a point where you want a specific image, hit 'Return' on your keyboard to give the following command its own line.
Above the text entry window click the paperclip 'Attachments' link and select the image you wish. Text in the format [ATTACH]NNNNN[/ATTACH] will appear.
Hit 'Return' on your keyboard to continue typing on the next line. The image will show up within the body of your post and not at the end.

About Attachment Storage Limits

When you upload a copy of an image file (or other attachment) it is stored on our servers. There are some restrictions on how much data can be stored.

Registered members are limited to 50 MB of attachment storage for items posted to threads and posts and 100 MB for files posted to the photo gallery. We highly recommend that you reduce file sizes before uploading them to posts and threads.

Contributing members have unlimited attachment storage for threads and posts. A contributing membership is an annual commitment. If a contributing membership reverts to a standard account, loaded images will still remain, but if you have exceeded the storage limits of a standard member account (50 MB), you may be unable to load more attachments. And remember ... all images loaded to posts (regardless of your membership status) must meet the size requirement above. If they are larger, they will fail to load.

How to embed an image stored on another site:
You can do this by using image tags. Upload the image to a service like imageshack and then copy the URL of the image and put that between [IMG] tags. That will work well, as long as the host site stays in business and doesn't disable your image for overuse of bandwidth etc.

You can also paste in the location of a photo stored here at AIR in a photo gallery.

To do this: Paste the url of the image into your post. Then add the following code on either side of the url (with no extra spaces):

[IMG]url here[/IMG]

The image will appear where the url was in your text.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dillon , South Carolina
1959 Photos

These photos will show you my challenge. I will attempt to load them this afternoon. Got a meeting to go to right now.
Thanks
Rodney urb2165@bellsouth.net

Tags