Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
WOW. won't do that again.

I recently took my A/S home for the weekend, while traveling a can of wd 40 fell into the sink. I went inside to check the interior out when I arrived home and low and behold , my sink looked like a young chicken had cracked out of it's egg. I now have a hole about the size of 1/2 of a dollar bill. I am thinking about making a patch out of j b weld. any thoughts
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
gutsgolf-i would replace the sink and save the chicken-------hendrie 42

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
A good fibreglass person could do the repair then use two part epoxy to recoat the whole area. I have seen this done on Corvettes without a noticeable trace. You really have to look hard.

Good Luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
JB weld will crack and fall off from the flexing of the fiberglass. You can patch it with fiberglass, and if you take your time, it can come out looking almost like it never happened. Now you know why I use plastic dispensers whenever possible.
I had visions of a charred and smoking crater where an Airstream used to be when I saw the title of this thread, I almost didn't want to look.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If I understand this correctly.... the can of WD40 put a hole in your sink? I can't imagine.... was it a chemical thing, or did it really bang around in there? If so, where were you driving? Do you have a fiberglass kitchen sink? I have seen stainless, porcelain, but fiberglass? Or was this in the bathroom area? How about posting a couple of pics to show the damage. You might get more responses.

Good luck...

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Sorry, the can was sitting in the bathroom by the sink, plastic sink, it is original. it appears that the can layed on its side with the bottom rim of the can chipping away at the area. will do photo later today. thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 06:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
sorry to alarm you but to see that damage to such a unique little sink really bothered me. i have had this thing about two months and really have fallen for it. I am changing a lot of things inside it and want to keep that bathroom as close to original as possible. never had any idea that plastic was so fragile. thanks for reply
Old 11-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
The same thing happened to my 72 Safari the first day we took her out. The sink had a bar of soap sitting it it that must have bounced around and broke a hole in it. Examining the pieces, they were quite literally as thin as eggshell, so that plastic must deteriorate over time. We put gaffers tape over the hole but it continued to enlarge on its own. At one point I was considering remodeling the bathroom and ripping it out, but I've changed my mind. I'm not sure how it can be fixed. I did a crude fix on the blacwater tank of my 76 Layton with a fiberglass repair kit that consists of this lethal smelling expoxy type stuff and fiberglass tape. It didn't hold up very well. Sure would like to hear from others on how to fix rather than place the sink since it is all one unit with the cabinet.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
A pic would be nice. I'm sure I could "make" a new sink for you IF I had the original to make a mold. Then you could have a nice carbon fiber look!! or something more conservative- but it would not be inexpensive.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tampa , Florida
My uncle drives a dump truck for his own hauling business. He now drives a new truck because one day a can of WD-40 that was behind his seat blew up. He escaped with only singed forearms and was extremely lucky. The truck was a total loss. I used to keep a can of the stuff in my vehicle. Now I don't allow it in the house. There is a proper place for everything.
at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Try calling a dental office if you know the dentist. They (or a dental lab) have great plastics that they work with, and it sticks to almost everything.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Not sure if this is even similar... but

My husband repaired the door plastic in our 1963 refrigerator... it was super thin stuff! He essentially did it with that spray foam insulation and fiberglass repair. Any way, you might check this thread and then scroll down to post # 361 to see what he did. You might have to remove your sink to really do it right. You might also have to beef up the bowl somehow and I have no idea if you have room underneath. Anyway, give it a look:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...-17925-26.html

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
WD40 is available in a small plastic bottle with a spray nozzle on it, much like a bottle of window cleaner. This has two advantages:
1-If the bottle falls in your sink again, it won't smash the sink.
2-It is not a pressurized container, so it won't blow up by merely getting too hot in your car.

WD40 WILL burn, if you get it hot enough, but it is not a tempurature you are likely to encounter in the trunk or behind the seat of your tow vehicle.