Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Columbia , South Carolina
Question wood stripper recommendations

I have been stripping and refinishing the plywood in my 68 Overlander for a while now. Done properly, the wood looks fabulous, and many people are astonished to see how nice a "trailer" can be.

Unfortunately, I have come into a problem. I had been using a bottle of stripper that I bought about 10 years ago. It was supposed to be some kind of "eco-friendly" stuff. It wasn't as agressive as Methylene Chloride, but it was MUCH less volatile.

Now I've run out and I can't find it anymore. I have tried all of the non-caustic stuff at the big-box home stores. Unfortunately, it evaporates VERY quickly, and doesn't do as good a job. I'm really not satisfied with the results I am getting with any of the new stuff. Ironically, it's more expensive, doesn't last as long AND is a known carcinogen. Go figure. I'm afraid to try any of the caustic stuff for fear of damaging the wood.

Does anyone know what the old stuf might be, or have an alternative recommendation? Sadly, I had the chemical name at one time, but lost it.

It was totally water-soluble, semi-clear (a little bit milky) and had a pungent odor, but it did not smell like orange-oil. It was not caustic.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty much stuck until I find a suitable stripper.

Thanks,

Jon in SC
fitzjo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
stripper

I've used 3M 'Safest Stripper', contains dimethyl adipate abd dimethyl glutarate.
Gotta admit it doesn't work as well as the old stuff, but it's safe and doesn't have an odor.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 03:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
That looks and sounds familiar. Do you know where to get it? Thanks a lot!
Old 01-12-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Wood stripper

I got it at the local TruValu hardware store. It doesn't blister like methyl chloride, but you can leave it on all night if you cover it with saran wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flipped03 001.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	4413  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Does anyone know what the finish is on cabinets as described above? If lacquer, for example, it could be stripped with lacquer thinner. Terrifically volatile, and one needs plenty of ventilation, but not particularly harmful as that sort of thing goes.

But, let me mention a method I use, although it is not entirely to the point. When stripping the finish off an older piece I use a mixture of 1 part methylene chloride stripper to three or four parts acetone. Using lots of ventilation and rubber gloves, I work the finish off using steel wool. This leaves the wood with much of the patina and color, rather than bleached out, dry, and lifeless.

Super runny, difficult to use on vertical surfaces, super flamable, and very quick to evaporate, so one can only do a small area at a time. But fairly quick working, and I really like the results.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Most of the cabinetry of that era will be finished in lacquer. My '67 owners manual even varifies that. If the finish is not totally gone or really patchy, many times a product called 'Restore-a-Finish' works well to 'reamalgamate' the existing lacquer.Basically it's a mixture of solvents like lac.thinner and zylene that dissolve the finish enough so you can move it around and even it out without losing the patina.
It's available at most good hardware stores and comes in different tones for different woods. I've used it on some of my wood and it works very easily and the results are good.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Re: wood stripper recommendations

Originally posted by fitzjo1
Quote:
I had been using a bottle of stripper that I bought about 10 years ago. It was supposed to be some kind of "eco-friendly" stuff. It wasn't as agressive as Methylene Chloride, but it was MUCH less volatile.
Back To Nature "Multi-Strip" may be the answer.

Read my diatribes in the following threads:

clearcoat -plasticoat stripper

Woodgrain Decal Help?

Sorry, haven't yet learned how to post a link on the Forum. You can find them by doing a search on the subject.

Hope this helps you with your problem. Maybe someone can help me with mine.

Practice Safe Stripping!

Regards,
Jeff
jthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 05:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
I picked up the sole bottle of the 3M Safest Stripper at Lowe's. It is slower acting than the old stuff, though not too volatile. Unfortunately, it leaves a substantial amount of residue (as determined on a piece of clean metal). I think it would be handy for anything that tolerates being washed down with water. It softened up the old numbers on the AS. But, I don't think it will suit me for hardwood veneer. Oh well.

It looks as though the other brand (Back to Nature) is very similar to the 3M, in that it uses the same "solvents". Does anyone know if it evaporates more completely and/or contains the aluminum trihydrate? I can't get it locally and hate to mail order it if it's the same thing.

I will experiment next with the suggestions above. Maybe a complete stripping is overkill. But, the old finish is really cloudy. So, I think most of it will have to come off. The steel wool is a great idea, though. It should be a lot safer than sand paper, which is definitely a bad idea, in my experience.

I will definitely post back results for reference sake. I think that's a great feature of the thread format. If anyone else knows of any other materials that work well, please post. Thanks a lot to everyone who has posted already.

Jon in SC
Old 01-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Back To Nature Multi-Strip

Originally posted by fitzjo1

Quote:
It looks as though the other brand (Back to Nature) is very similar to the 3M, in that it uses the same "solvents". Does anyone know if it evaporates more completely and/or contains the aluminum trihydrate? I can't get it locally and hate to mail order it if it's the same thing.
My Back To Nature Multi-Strip container's ingredients are:

1) Dimethyl Glutarate
2) Dimethyl Adipate
3) Dimethyl Succinate
4) N Methyl-2 Pyrrolidone
5) Proprietary Filler

Items 1 thru 3 sound like they are plant based (may be soybean, guar gum or sugars). Item 4 is the active ingredient according to the resident expert. No idea what item 5 may be.

I'm no chemist, but have done some research and been a haz-waste employer/worker for 30+ years with a working knowledge and great deal of respect for the BAD stuff. I used a lot of this on the exterior aluminum as a paint & decal stripper with good results, without killing any brain or liver cells. BUT, have not used it on wood!

It goes on with a brush as a thick paste. It usually remains "wet" and active for 4 - 8 hours, but not overnight. You can keep the moisture in and working longer by covering it with wax paper. Activity slows down below 60F. Cleans up with water and paper towels.

You should be able to find it at your local paint & wallpaper store. I bought it in 1 quart & 1 gallon sizes, but there was a customer who came in once a month for a 5 gallon pail to strip multiple layers of paint off his old house.

Check out the Back To Nature web site and/or give them a call or stop by in New Jersey. They were very responsive to my requests for info & a MSDS.

If you have not already done so, suggest you read the posts mentioned in my previous reply above. Kinda long, but lots of good info there.

Jon's Significant Other says: "Come to bed dear, I have to get up early tomorrow for the Sports Illustrated swimsuit photo shoot"

Jon replys: "Not tonight dear, I have to check out strippers on the Airstream Forum"

Practice "Safe Stripping"!

Regards,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
steel wool

A caveat regarding steel wool:
If you are going to use a water based polyurethane for the new finish, be sure to get every tiny hair of steel wool off the wood. Otherwise it will rust under the poly. Good luck with your project!
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Better yet, use bronze wool. No problems with rust under your waterbased finish.

You could use a 3M pad too, but I'm partial to the steel/bronze wools.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Can the bad stuff be used on an interior without killing brain cells - I know open windows/fan/resporator - but does that really protect you? Still seems like an enclosed area

Ken
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Ken,

If you use a quality respirator with NIOSH certification against chemical vapors you should be covered. Where it really gets you is when (not if) you wipe the sweat off of your brow before taking your gloves off, cleaning up, etc!! I know this from experience! Its one of those force of habit things.

Eye protection is extremely important too. The vapors can irritate the eyes badly.

Regarding the fans, they help tremendously, but at the same time you are drying out your stripper prematurely. Double edged sword I guess. I would rather reapply stripper than not use a fan though.

Tripp
Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Tripp

Thanks - what kind of eye protection should you use - most goggles have vents - seems like they would not help with vapors.

Ken J
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Bad Stuff

Originally posted by Ken Johansen
Quote:
Can the bad stuff be used on an interior without killing brain cells
Ken:

If it contains Methylene Chloride OSHA/NIOSH require a "SCBAF" (Sell Contained Breathing Apparatus Full Face). This is not a simple filter type respirator but a positive pressure supplied air source (like "SCUBA" gear). They are very expensive, require special initial and recurring training and fit-testing.

And this only covers the respiratory protection. The dermal protection required is also extensive. Then you need to address clean-up & disposal of wastes, etc.

My simple advice is DON'T use the stuff, especially in a confined space. There are better, cheaper, healthier ways to do the job.

Once again, I direct you to the posts I mentioned previously in this thread.

Practice Safe Stripping!

Regards,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
An old furniture restorer taught me to NEVER strip anything! And to use laquer thinner and paint thinner in a fifty-fifty mix to, as he put it "clean the finish" He claimed this would disolve the finish, take the dirt out, and redeposit a very thin coat of finish on it. We always used 4-0 steel wool, and used it like we were washing the object. This was followed with tung oil. Yes, it had to be well ventilated, but the results were beautiful! It did clean, but not destroy, leaving the character of what were working on!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-22-2004, 01:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Elizabeth

I don't think that works if the wood has been painted from what I understand

Ken
Old 01-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jeff

Just checked out the other posts you mentioned above - very good information.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all this

Ken J.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Jeff,

Yeah, I would love to have a full respirator! I've actually considered one several times, but just couldn't pony up the $4-500 bucks for one.

I do a lot of HVLP spraying and would love to have a "breath of fresh air" so to speak. Even the best "face filters" clog quickly if you do a lot of varnish spraying.

Ken, if you can't afford the respirator, you might try "Spoggles". They are a cross between goggles and sports glasses. Most woodworking stores have them. They aren't rated for anything, but they have a foam gasket around the eyepieces that should help keep vapors at bay. They're pretty indestructible too. Better than nothing at all.

Also, do yourself and your wardrobe a favor and wear some sort of tyvek suit. Again, not rated against stripper, but will help. HD or Lowes has them for under $10.

Tripp
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Dermal Protection

Originally posted by Tripp

Ken:

Tripp has obviously "Been There - Done That". He has addressed the "other side of the coin" here = dermal protection.

QUOTE]Also, do yourself and your wardrobe a favor and wear some sort of tyvek suit. Again, not rated against stripper, but will help. [/QUOTE]

Many different types and brands are available. Check the "break-through" time for the specific chemical. I don't have the Tyvek catalog at hand, but check the www. I expect break-through time for aggressive strippers (with Methylene Chloride) would be less than an hour (you change the suit at that interval).

I'm not an expert and don't mean to be an alarmist, but have worked with "Bad Stuff" for 30+ years. Just trying to help you out.

I suspect the Heineken and single malt Scotch (life is too short to drink blended) have destroyed more brain and liver cells than anything I've been exposed to on the job and/or Airstream project.

It's your choice, but please Practice Safe Stripping.

Regards.
Jeff