Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
wood-like laminate in 72 Tradewind

Does anyone know what the dark wood-like laminate is that is used for the cabinets throughout the 72 Tradewind? Or what kind of wood it is supposed to simulate? I need to match it to replace some missing pieces. If anyone knows where to get it that would be great too. I attached a picture. It is the laminate on the dividers and the cabinets and trim pieces.
Thanks, Tim

AIR #25767
timkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Plastic Laminate

Hello Timkim,

I'm sending this response from maccamper who's out working on our awning hardware right now.

We have a 1974 Ambassador with the same woodlike finish. It's a good probability that it is a plastic laminate made to look like walnut -- very popular in the 70's. A couple of sources of information on the laminate would be Wilsonart.com: Welcome! and/or Formica Corporation - North America Naturally, the new laminate would not have the "patina" of the 1972 finish.

Good luck with your search ...

Nancy Mac (mrs. maccamper)
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
you'll not likely find anything that matches it. I work for an architectural firm, and we have every sample known to man in our library...there isn't anything quite like that made, that I could find. There are a couple of things that are "close"...but no cigar. the thing about the airstream stuff is that it has grey flecks going through it...simulated "aging", I guess. anyway, your best bet is probably salvage or e-bay.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Well thank you both, Mrs. Maccamper and Chuck. Walnut gives me a place to start searching. But, I have a feeling that you are right, Chuck, that there isn't anything quite like this stuff. I am hoping I can get a close or reasonable match. If not I'll formulate plan B.

If there is anyone out there who has found something close to this original Airstream special, I'd love to hear from you.
Tim

AIR #25767
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think the stuff is supposed to be oak. At least, the stain I got that was closest to it claimed to be oak stain.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I have a product from metroflor I got out of my dads house when he passed. I dont know where he got it from but his Kitchen floor was done in it. It was the closest thing to your interior I have found. I have the same interior. The sample I have look like the exact same thing. It is Metroflor product 30113. called "winsted" Now when I go to there website it doesnt match the item I have so. It isnt a walnut but it does have the character of Tiger oak stained dark. Ifg you find out I am intrested I have been looking a while. There is a place in west coast that makes the tambour doors also.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Thumbs up

Thank you all for your help. It's looking like I may be able to scrape enough together from some of the parts we took apart and won't put back. If it turms out we need to find something I'll post what we come up with when we find it.

AIR #25767
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The closest I've found as a colour match in real wood to the laminate used in my 72 Tradewind is mahogany.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
Cos
2 Rivet Member

1973 21' Globetrotter
Middletown , Rhode Island
You might try birch plywood stained with a water based Minwax stain - I believe the color to look for is coffee, it is a store mixed color. Finish with a satin polyurethane. The color is close but it still lacks the wood grain pattern in the original stuff.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
For anyone who might also be looking for flooring (or maybe it could be creatively used in other applications) in this dark wood pattern, I found something I think is pretty close. I followed Mustang's lead and went to the Metroflor site, www.metroflorusa.com, and in their Tru-Woods Collection in the stained oak catagory it is called Mountain Oak.
It seems to be plank flooring because the dimensions are 4" X 36", but the gauge is 1/8" and it is "hardwood flooring sealed in protective vinyl", which leads me to think it may be vinyl tile. I can't tell.

Anyway, if some one is interested and wants to do more research they may come up with something useful.

Metroflor is linked to Konecto flooring, which sells at Home Depot. So maybe it is also available there.
Happy Trails,
Tim

AIR #25767
Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
laminate available

Tim,
I have removed many cabinets and tambour from my 75 sovereign that appear to be the same as your finish. I have lots of parts for sale. What are you needing?
Barbara
bbmombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmombo View Post
Tim,
I have removed many cabinets and tambour from my 75 sovereign that appear to be the same as your finish. I have lots of parts for sale. What are you needing?
Barbara
Do you have a classified ad posted? didn't see one...

I need the big horizontal tambour door for the galley cabinet...
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Gualala , California
Hi Barbara, thanks so much for the offer.
At this point we don't seem to need anything--yet. We have been pretty good at recycling what we started with and we have also incorporated some maple plywood into the cabinets, and then, there are the work arounds. But, we still have a lot to do. We are planning to do a desk/dining table combo up front and the bed is still in the planning stages.
It is possible that we will need something in the near future. We plan on finishing the major stuff and being liveable & mobile by the end of this year. And, yes, I would bet that your simulated wood pieces would match ours. Can you give me a better idea of what you have available?

AIR #25767
Old 09-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Durango , Colorado
laminate available

Tim and Chuck,
I have a friend that is trying to sell these for me. She is out of town until Sunday. So she or I will get back with you on Monday to let you know what is still available. Thanks for recycling!!
Barbara
bbmombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There were at least 2 Airstream variations on the 70s walnut finish. My 71 has the grey flecks mentioned above. My 73 did not.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
We needed to come up with some laminate that would at least coordinate with the existing stuff in our 72 Safari (Walnut or Pecan with pickling steaks). What we found was the Wilsonart Mission Adobe 4849-38 has a similar background color and reflectivity characteristics (it lacks the gray streaks and wood grain though).

As long as it isn't next to the original stuff it gives the same impression.

The other solution, which I stumbled on sort of by accident is to take Oak and put 2 coats of Minwax Walnut finish on it. Put it on very heavy and let it sit for a while (I think it was rather cool when I did it and let it sit for 20 minutes a coat) and then rub off the excess.

I used the wood around the fridge, figuring I would find something better later but it really blends in nicely.

As long as you aren't doing professional photo shoots, both products work nicely with the level of lighting available inside the AS (day or night).

If you want to try and actually match the wood to the original laminate I would would start with the Oak, using the Minwax as I described above, then try a light coat of pickling stain (pickled pine stuff) and then wipe it off.

One of the best places for finding ways to color wood is a Woodcraft store. They usually have a good selection of a variety of products and ofen, not always, there is someone there that can talk you through using the various products.

Another product I stumbled onto down here in Alabama is that Home Depot sells Luan door veneer that is 1/8" thick. Put a layer of laminate on each side and you have a panel that is almost identical to the original as far as thickness goes. They are 7 feet by 3 feet (not a full 4 X 8 but big enough for most applications).

Tom Bray
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
portland , Tennessee
tambour

Do you still have ANY tambour??? I really need it.
Doris
netlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
I wanted this product to fabricate some of the parts for my gaucho that was removed in my 1971 25' Landyacht Tradewind. The laminate was called pionite and the color was red oak. It is no longer available and I was not able to find anything with the fine 3D texture. Laminating both sides of 1/8 in plywood really makes a sturdy product that can be edged with extruded aluminum to match the original. Good luck at finding what you like.

Tambour is available from a good lumber supplier. It is used to make rool top desks for example. Stained to taste and finished with satin polyurethane will be gorgeous and last forever. One tip is to cut away the backing from the part that fits into the slot to avoid sticking. Lubrication helps. Try here if there is nothing local - www.tapeease.comveneer1/htm.

Good luck.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote