Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 08:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Wine cellar in our AS...

In our AS there is a small, shallow cabinet beneath the refrigerator. Perhaps this is common on most ASs.

We find that it is just the right size to hold wine bottles, so I have created a little 7-bottle wine cellar there. I used one foot lengths of heavy duty Velcro to tie the bottles in place. I put a screw and washer in the center of the strip and placed the 7 strips 3.5 inches apart. The space isn't quite big enough to fit 8 bottles so I added a little gap between each bottle, which resulted in the 3.5 inch on center dimension.

To cover the screw and washer, I added another 3-inch of the same Velcro over the screw and washer on the inside so now they don't endanger the bottle, although I don't suspect that the shaking would break our precious Two-Buck Chuck vintage cabernet.

Lastly, we had some memory foam left over from our twin-bed toppers so I added that to the bottom of the cabinet for a little more security and shock resistance. Seems like a nice installation and we'll find out next week when we take our first extended trip down the coast to Big Sur.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
We ned some Pictures, here, Mike! I'm having some trouble envisioning how this all works and looks.... but it sounds darn neat! My fridge sits dead on the floor, nothing under it but floor..... but the fact you can make wine storage out this space is GREAT!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Hunting for a really nice medium burgandy right now, thank you!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
YES! Two-buck!

I have wine cellars in 2 of my three AS, and the third will get one soon.

I made a cabinet that would hold the styrene molded foam containers that are typically used inside a cardboard box for shipping wine. It's not real durable, but I've put over 20,000 miles and 4 years on both of them and they are still functional. I like the foam because it guarantees that the bottles won't bump each other and it maintains a more constant temperature--I'm not worried about the cold [usually], but the hot dessert days can be brutal when you're out hiking and the trailer is becoming an oven. It's really good to put the wine down on the floor, as this daytime heat [as we all know] is way worse toward the ceiling.

I suspect mice used a small edge of the foam for a homebuilding project at some point, so that's something to worry [perhaps] about.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Elizabeth,

I'll be happy to post a picture or two of the "cellar." It will be about 2 weeks, however, because we are going out of internet range for a little trip.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 03-10-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Mike, Sounds like a great idea and I think we have the same configuration on our Classic. We'll be bringing her home today to prep for trip. I'll take a look at that little space and see if we can't do the same thing. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #6

1979 29' Ambassador
hallettsville , Texas
Exclamation

As wine is part of my daily life, being a Native Californian, I have found that the areas beneath the arms on the couch will hold several bottles in the foam shipping containers; and will also leave room for other spirits next to the containers. But don't give me credit for this; Henry came up with it!
sue flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
One of our overhead bins became "the bar" where we store the fixin's for margarittas. We prefer watermelon margarittas, BTW.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We've found another use for our little 7-bottle wine cellar.

We recently bought a little Weber gas grille that uses 14-oz propane bottles (just $2.34 each at Home Depot) that have diameter and height almost exactly the same as wine bottles. So, now we keep a couple of gas bottles in our wine cellar. Neat.

Still have to take pictures that show the setup. Sorry to be tardy.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
Well, being a Winemaker by profession, I had my curiosity piqued when I saw this thread. I have dozens (sometimes hundreds) of the three and six bottle styro-shippers. Obviously, anywhere we go, people expect us to "bust-out" a bottle of our Zin or Syrah...now I have a great way of transporting these wines (and gas bottles) in a spot we weren't using. Great idea!
kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolarshooter
Well, being a Winemaker by profession, I had my curiosity piqued when I saw this thread. I have dozens (sometimes hundreds) of the three and six bottle styro-shippers. Obviously, anywhere we go, people expect us to "bust-out" a bottle of our Zin or Syrah...now I have a great way of transporting these wines (and gas bottles) in a spot we weren't using. Great idea!
Those styrofoam shippers are certainly a nice, safe way for holding bottles. Is there enough space for the shippers in that compartment however. Our compartment isn't too deep, which is why I ask.

Also, if you are coming to the Forum rally in October, perhaps we can share notes and show off our solutions for the all-important, essential wine storage problem.

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 07-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We could not find room for a wine rack but made a wine glass/ mug rack out of wood trim moulding turned upside down and mounted above the sink. The wine is kept in the cabinet over the fridge or in a box inside the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resized.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	23891  
Old 07-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Paso Robles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
Is there enough space for the shippers in that compartment however. Our compartment isn't too deep, which is why I ask...
Yup, I just walked out and set a three-pack shipper in there...no problem. Different manufacturers might have different dimensions...but the one I tried fit nicely.

Robert.
kolarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
All sound like great storage spots for the bar! I'll have to keep these in mind when we go pick up our 1st new Airstream next week (can't wait!)!

Minnie's Mate: Watermelon Margaritas! Sounds yummy... Care to share the recipe? I can post my favourite one - Prickly Pear Margaritas (aka Cactus Pears) if anyone's interested.

Cheers!
Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
We've found another use for our little 7-bottle wine cellar.

We recently bought a little Weber gas grille that uses 14-oz propane bottles (just $2.34 each at Home Depot) that have diameter and height almost exactly the same as wine bottles. So, now we keep a couple of gas bottles in our wine cellar. Neat.

Still have to take pictures that show the setup. Sorry to be tardy.
Going though this old thread noticed a problem that anyone reading about successful storage of propane bottle under refrig might not consider that it is a dangerous idea. Propane should be stored in an outside locker with a vent at the bottom. Portable cylinders can leak, putting them under the refrigerator would store them very close to a flame source.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Portland , Oregon
Wine cellar

I see this thread is old, but I wanted to add my two cents. We found these great little StorVino wine crates at The Containter Store. You can use a wine cork to connect them together for less rattling, but in our 27'FB they fit perfectly under the bed here with no movin' around at all.

There's another photo and more info here: Airstream Style: Fun and Function - Riveted

We have two in the front on their sides as shown, and two behind that standing upright for reserves.
ldomela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
We have a 2010 25' FB Flying cloud. The front queen bed lifts and one corner has a space that justs fits a 12 bottle cardboard box if you cut it up and make it 2x6 instead of 3x4 bottles. being under the bed it isn't exposed to extremes of temp change and stores our cab very well.
NWGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
What a Lush!

Wine makes me ill, so no need for storage (but love some of these ideas).

I never drank anything until I purchased the FaN. Since then, I have developed a fondness for gin. I don't know what this means -- maybe buying a trailer emboldens the urge to cut loose and relax a bit?

I keep my gin in a little plastic tote in the shower. I guess this is my tribute to "bathtub gin."

The *hic* Airstream *hic* lifestyle *hic*!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I built my wine rack above the microwave. It holds 5 bottles. I removed the cabinet top and split it and hinged it near the back. I added 3" of oak to the front and sides for extra depth and installed a floor slightly below the original top of the cabinet. I put in bottle separators and covered the area with felt.

I put an opening in the rear, non-hinged portion of the lid to gain acccess to the outlet and TV plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winerack 1.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	174847   Click image for larger version

Name:	winerack 2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	174848  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Very Nice!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Wine makes me ill, so no need for storage (but love some of these ideas).

I never drank anything until I purchased the FaN. Since then, I have developed a fondness for gin. I don't know what this means -- maybe buying a trailer emboldens the urge to cut loose and relax a bit?

I keep my gin in a little plastic tote in the shower. I guess this is my tribute to "bathtub gin."

The *hic* Airstream *hic* lifestyle *hic*!

Hi FaN,

I am quite fond of gin as well and have developed a particular fondness for Hendrick's. In my opinion it makes, hands down, the best martini ever! I have also totally abandoned the vermouth in my martini.

Best,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote