Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Uninstalling the Nutone Mixer Control

Has anyone tried to un-install the sink top Nutone Mixer controller that is in most classic Airstream Motor homes?? If so, need help in trying to figure out how to get them out without breaking appliance or sink top
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 08:35 AM   #2
Finally Retired

, Washington
Is it broken?

Is it broke? We love ours and we use it a lot also. We did replace a part but thats it. They sell for a lot on E-bay so don't just "get rid" of the parts.. The only thing we still need is the power post.
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thanks for your response
Old 05-07-2002, 10:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
I looked at that a few months ago. I ended not having to remove it. I got it to work (just had to push the knob tight on to the speed control shaft so it would pull the switch up when lifted). If I remember right, the unit is held in from below and once loosened lifts out. I think there were a couple of screws and the electrical connection. The unit is accessible from the cabinet below (may have to pull a few drawers out).

I did remove the cover to clean it, so remember that small piece of it. You have to remove the control knob first. The cover pulls up about 2.5 to 3 inches. It is held on by a couple of wire clips at each end. Squeeze the clips together to remove the cover all the way. Be careful not to lose the small rubber o-ring around the speed control shaft.

If you are removing the power unit, you will find it is worth something on e-bay, especially if it works.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:06 AM   #5
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
OK Thanks Jim - will give it atry!
Appreciate your comments,
Old 10-19-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Re: Is it broken?

Quote:
Originally posted by LKappenman
We love ours and we use it a lot also.
what attachments are there besides: mixer, blender, knife sharpener?
TriCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The previous owner of my unit did a good job of keeping the original paperwork. Here is the list of attachments.

Food Processor
Coffee Grinder
Blender
Mixer
Fruit Juicer
Ice Crusher
Knife Sharpener
"Power Post"
Meat Grinder (requires "Power Post")
Shredder-Slicer (requires "Power Post")
Can Opener (requires "Power Post")

I even have the "NuTone Food Center Cookbook". I have the blender and knife sharpener. I have pieces of the mixer but not the whole thing.

I don't have the installation (or un-installation in this case) instructions.

I'm keepin' mine! How many campers have milkshakes in the evening?

OT: Funny Blender Story
At a soccer tournament, some of the team parents were attempting to make adult beverages with crushed ice using a blender, a small $20 inverter, and their car battery. It was wimpy and not working well. I let them use my exterior AC outlet for more power and a storage drawer top for workspace. I didn't tell them I had an ice maker and a in-counter blender that would have worked much better! (FYI - We didn't partake or condone this behavior at youth sporting events!)
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Nu-Tone attachments

Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345
Here is the list of attachments.

"Power Post"

I'm keepin' mine!
We are too! Only have to find the Power Post, food processor, grater and can opener.

Thanks for your quick response.
TriCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
If I remember right, the unit is held in from below and once loosened lifts out. I think there were a couple of screws and the electrical connection. The unit is accessible from the cabinet below (may have to pull a few drawers out).

I am resurecting this old thread to correct the above information. I have just taken out my NuTone and will describe the process. What I had to do was first disconnect the wiring, make certain the power is off! Then take out the motor, see first pix. The motor is held on by four screws at each corner on the top; mine were rusted and had to be sprayed. I also had to use persuasion to loosen the motor from its 28 year seal. Disconnect the wiirng from the switch and set the motor aside. You now have access to the mounting brackets. There is a screw in the middle of the top plate, pix 2, that when you turn it will lower the mounting plate which holds two brackets to on the outside housing under the counter top. Mine was badly rusted and again had to be sprayed and coaxed, thus the reason to remove the motor. After the brackets are lowered you can gently pry the housing loose from the counter top and lift it out, pix 3. Clean up the area and you are done. Pix 4.
I tested the motor and it does work, now I need to decide if I want to spend the $100.00 to $200.00 or so to make it work again with a new switch, cover -plate, and accesories. We probably will never use it but it is so Airstream I hate to give it up. On the other hand it leaks water into the drawers below when I wash dishes and I could build a new drawer with the scrap lumber I have on hand and patch the hole with a nice piece of butcher block wood for free. This is a hard choice.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Does the Nu-Tone appliance work off of 12 volt. I ask this because I have seen new built-in blender bases for residential uses. If you wanted the original look and weren't concerned with use when boondocking you could install one of these units.

Or, you could bid on this unit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Nutone-Food-Cent...QQcmdZViewItem, the seller is auctioning off all of the attachments separately and you could get the ones you want.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
The Nutone unit is 110 volt rather than 12 volt. I replaced the one in my Excella because the speed switch shaft was broken flush with the surface.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I recieved a "new" used NuTone food center purchased on eBay and installed it in Chummy. Now I have a working food center it probably never will be used but i feel bettter that it works. I also caulked around the lip so it will not leak water into the silverware drawer when I wash the dishes. As a compromise to my wife I am building a 6" deep drawer that will fit in front of the food center to replace the blank panel that was there.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Faribault , Minnesota
Nutone interchange

Do the accessories for the 221 power unit work on the model 251 power unit?
tswinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I found a brand new-pristine NuTone base unit at a garage sale (with mixer and blender) but the lady had a very high price on it and would not budge. I know they go for a bunch but you only make money if you can get it wholesale!

Some folks want eBay prices at their yard sale. Ain't happening honey!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Faribault , Minnesota
I have answered my own question, I took a gamble and ordered some attachments made for the model 221 power unit and found they fit my model 251 power unit perfectly. I have now aquired every attachment available for the food center including the 243 drawer kit which holds all the attachments, now I just have to decide if I want to butcher some drawers to install them.
Here is a great source for Nutone food center parts and acc.
R & I your leader in Nutone replacement parts
tswinsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Warman , SK
Thanks for this explanation. I’m still unclear of one thing. I can see the four screws on each corner of the metal case which encloses the motor. But I can’t reach them because the plywood is obstructing my access. It looks like the four set screws, if undone, would allow the motor and controls to be pulled straight up? I can’t get one of the control knobs off. Is that essential to removal?
Blockparty is offline   Reply With Quote