Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
tricks for removing cooktop

I am wanting to replace the laminate of my countertop but am afraid I'm going to mess something up.... are there any tricks for removing the edging?

And I can't figure out how to remove the stovetop! When I removed the lid and part that the grates fit on, I noticed some small fasteners along the edge of the *surrround* (i.e the piece under the burners with a lip that extends onto the lamiate). I hate to experiment by removing those little screws - only to find that the unaccessible nuts have dropped out of place an now I'm sk-a-rewed!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
...I hate to experiment by removing those little screws...
hi laura

post photos.

the details and assembly of units vary and who knows if yours is EXACTLY original 35+ years later.

and for the diy experts to offer useful help, they need some detals...

so what follows in this post is NOT expert advice.

typically glued laminate/edging can be l lifted with a HOT air gun and putty knife.

typically the burner drip/spash base is hinged at the back and LIFTS up at the front, after the grates are off.

this exposes the lp gas connections to EACH burner base and makes cleaning UNDER the pan easy.

does your unit have an oven too? there are threads on oven/stove install and removals, for 70s and 80s units with pix.

but removing the entire stove/oven assembly depends on what model is installed in your trailer.

always turn OFF the lp gas (disconnect the bottles to be sure) before fiddling with stove removal or placement...

usually there are some front trim pieces that need to be removed for easy sliding of the oven box and to access the gas line.

so those photos you are gonna take and post will HELP when it is time to put it all back together...

because it IS the little screws that will get ya!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi laura

post photos.

photo below - though it's not very good. I'll take more this evening, when I get home with the drip/splash base raised up.

the details and assembly of units vary and who knows if yours is EXACTLY original 35+ years later.

and for the diy experts to offer useful help, they need some detals...

so what follows in this post is NOT expert advice.

typically glued laminate/edging can be l lifted with a HOT air gun and putty knife.

typically the burner drip/spash base is hinged at the back and LIFTS up at the front, after the grates are off.

I got this part out last month - when I had the cover & drip/splash base powder coated. Though removal of that was sketchy at best, I pried it out using a couple instruments (i.e. screw drivers). I did bend both the cover & drip base - but not enough to alter use.

this exposes the lp gas connections to EACH burner base and makes cleaning UNDER the pan easy.

Right - this is the part I'm wanting to remove.

does your unit have an oven too? there are threads on oven/stove install and removals, for 70s and 80s units with pix.

no oven - at least not anymore. It was orginally on the aft galley wall, extending into the bedroom area and over the curb side gaucho.

but removing the entire stove/oven assembly depends on what model is installed in your trailer.

always turn OFF the lp gas (disconnect the bottles to be sure) before fiddling with stove removal or placement...

and those photos you are gonna take and post will HELP when it is time to put it all back together...

because it IS the little screws that will get ya!

Don't I know..... Like little elves ....

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air' . Here's the best pic I can pull up at work (before powder coating):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00231.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	87830  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
This is what the 72 Service Manual says:
1.Shut off the gas at the bottles (duhh)
2.Disconnect the gas supply line connected to shut off valve on manifold
3.Surface unit is secured by 4 Phillips head wood screws located on each side of mounting flange. (Lift stove top and this will give you access to screws for removal)
4. Very carefully lift up unit. At the same time slide the gas line through the side of the unit.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
This is what the 72 Service Manual says:
1.Shut off the gas at the bottles (duhh)
2.Disconnect the gas supply line connected to shut off valve on manifold
3.Surface unit is secured by 4 Phillips head wood screws located on each side of mounting flange. (Lift stove top and this will give you access to screws for removal)
4. Very carefully lift up unit. At the same time slide the gas line through the side of the unit.

Thank You! So, I found the screws and will give it a go.

How about the fasteners that hold the cover and the stove top? Those are little buggars. I have no idea how they're secured to the unit. Maybe once I get it out it will be more obvious....

Here's a pic of my unit - in the back is the *pin* that holds the cover and stove top (allowing them to pivot up, but not come out without the pursuation of a screw driver). In front of that is one of the four screws that must be securing the unit in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00724.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	87853  
Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
South , South Dakota
counter top

Good luck! We did our's on a 2007 25fb. It was a lot of work we lowered the stove so we could cover it we undermounted the sink to get counter space the sove in ours was the easy part. If I can be of help let me know .

Dean
rd tighe is offline   Reply With Quote