Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Ours worked good with the larger rollers also, for a while. I'm beginning to thing the little plastic spring things at the top that are designed to keep pressure on the rollers loose tension over time and then let the rollers jump out of the tracks. Our problem is always with the inner, or Right hand door.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Same door with us.

Might have to get a long piece of u channel aluminum and wedge it between the two tracks (secure it somehow) to stop them from jumping out. It would be harder to remove the doors but I don't do that, on purpose, very often.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
i'm beginning to think some things just don't belong in travel trailers. The bouncing and extreme temps can cause stuff to act up that would never do so in a house.

But bad engineering can also be the cause.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
i'm beginning to think some things just don't belong in travel trailers. The bouncing and extreme temps can cause stuff to act up that would never do so in a house.

But bad engineering can also be the cause.

Gene
I agree with you, Gene. But, unfortunately short of removing the doors and doing without, I am forced to continue to work with them. I do, however have a couple of ideas and I'm currently researching how to implement them.

To come off their tracks, the door rollers must go up, and than away from the roller slot. My previous attempts to fix the problems have both been related to keeping them from going up.

I'm now working on a modification that will keep them from going away from the slot when closed. Stay tuned, or as they used to say in the Navy, "standby to standby, this might be a maybe".
Old 07-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Hope you get this solved Steve. Extreme temps are on my mind because a maple table I made for the dinette started to come apart again at one seam. I'm not a furniture maker, but I thought I could get this right, and then thought last year's fix would work, but subzero to 100+ temps foil the intrepid (and foolish too).

Gene

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Don't know if this will solve the problem or not, but this is my latest attempt at it. Like I said before, the larger wheels put more downward pressure against the track in an effort to prevent them from jumping the track.

These two things will prevent them from moving off of the tracks, I hope. The first is a spacer made from fiber filled nylon plastic (think slippery), and goes between the two doors, but primarily keeps the one end of the inside door from jumping the track.

The other is sort of a clip lock made from the same nylon plastic, and actually clips the top of the inside door mechanism preventing it from jumping the track when the door is closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0275.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	737.5 KB
ID:	191020   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0276.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	663.8 KB
ID:	191021  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0277.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	191022  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I hope this doesn't turn out like the battle with the gopher in Caddy Shack.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #28
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I hope this doesn't turn out like the battle with the gopher in Caddy Shack.
Ken
I'll be in Longmont next week. I lived in Boulder, Lafayette, Niwot, and Carter Lake for a total of 19 years.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
B.A. (Before Airstream), I had a TrailManor folding trailer with folding bathroom walls. It was difficult to keep the parts properly aligned. I drilled a 1/4" hole in one part and inserted a 1/4" oak dowel so that 1/2" of the dowel protruded. I determined where it hit the adjoining part and drilled a 9/32" hole. The dowel aligned the two parts nicely and made the assembly a lot stronger.

It would seem that the same thing would help on the sliding doors. Put a similar dowel near the top of the frame so that when the door is closed, the dowel is inserted in the door so that the door can not move vertically. The dowel only needs to protrude about 1/2" to lock the door down on the rails. The dowel would also stop any in-out motion.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
After about 1000 miles of travel, I'm happy to report that my last mod to prevent the sliding closet doors from coming off the tracks is working great. No problems at all with the doors coming off the tracks.

Now if I can just get the latches to work that well.....
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I just looked at your avatar. The photo must have been taken at the Balloon Fiesta and if that is the front of your trailer, the balloon must be over ours since we were behind you (or in front of you, depending which way you see it). Good photo, glad the doors are staying on track.

Gene

Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I just looked at your avatar. The photo must have been taken at the Balloon Fiesta and if that is the front of your trailer, the balloon must be over ours since we were behind you (or in front of you, depending which way you see it). Good photo, glad the doors are staying on track.

Gene
Yes Gene, I took the photo at the Baloon Fiesta Rally the last day we were there....I believe Monday.

I've learned one more thing about the sliding door locks, and that is if you squirt the inside of them with a little silcone, the seem to work lots better. All else with the doors remains good, so at this time I'm a happy camper.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
After about 1000 miles of travel, I'm happy to report that my last mod to prevent the sliding closet doors from coming off the tracks is working great. No problems at all with the doors coming off the tracks.

Now if I can just get the latches to work that well.....
The glass sliding closet door AS 396XL Motor Home stays in track OK and opens and closes fine, but the latches won't stay on. Since glass runs all the way to end there is no way to attach the door portion of the latch with screws. It looks like they originally used a double stick take. That didn't work The only option that I found to keep the door closed while traveling is a wooden dowel laying in the bottom track.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Got back from our Colorado trip, now have over 2,000 miles since the sliding door mod, and they have not once come off the track once. So, I guess the mod works.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Great!

And thanks for spending money in Colorado and then leaving.

Gene

Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Great!

And thanks for spending money in Colorado and then leaving.

Gene
You are welcome, Gene, but I've got real bad news for you.....We're Coming BACK!

Oh, and one more thing....don't try to find any Shiner Bock where I was because I bought it all, and drank it!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Our doors don't come off the tracks but on our last trip out the plastic catch broke into pieces and now the door slides open when traveling. If I think about it I push a thin piece of wood into the track to hold it but we often forget. The catch is glued to the mirrored door back. Are these catches available to replace ????? Must I look to Airstream for them or are they a common item available elsewhere ??

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Our doors don't come off the tracks but on our last trip out the plastic catch broke into pieces and now the door slides open when traveling. If I think about it I push a thin piece of wood into the track to hold it but we often forget. The catch is glued to the mirrored door back. Are these catches available to replace ????? Must I look to Airstream for them or are they a common item available elsewhere ??
Not totally sure which latches you have, but some of ours have also broken, and I got replacements from Airstream.

Ours are screwed to an aluminum frame around the mirrored doors.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Check this thread.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...oor-80739.html

Ken

P.S. I have had no broken latches since the replacement.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
You are welcome, Gene, but I've got real bad news for you.....We're Coming BACK!

Oh, and one more thing....don't try to find any Shiner Bock where I was because I bought it all, and drank it!
Steve, why don't you just send your money to me and I'll send you some photos of Colorado. Think how much you'll save on gas.

Gene