Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Tambour spirals for Kitchen Cabinet

Hello all. Can somebody help me locate a pair of Spirals for the horizontal Tambour that was used under the Kitchen sink in our 1976. Years ago the Tambour was replaced with cheesy sliding doors and I would like to go back to sliding Tambour if possible. I know they are obsolete but any ideas or help would be appreciated. They look like this image;
Attached Images

Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a pair. Send me PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The galley and the bathroom tambour are a problem. One solution is to make the Tambour 2 piece which reduces the problem of feeding into the spiral. I finally gave up though and this was my solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tambour.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	359189  
Old 01-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
The tambour under the kitchen sink is too long to use for all practical purposes. It is designed to scroll the tambour but in reality the tambour slides no more than 1/2 the width of the opening. You should also look at the price of replacement tambour material. I think it is close to $800 for a sheet. See if you can find someone to split the cost.

We are in mid AZ right now but our storage is in Carson City. If I have saved the spirals (doubt) you can have them but we will not be back in Carson until April. PM me in late March and I will look through my junk.

I took out the spirals and installed two 3/8" aluminum channel along the top and bottom of the space that the tambour was originally installed. I then cut the tambour into three pieces. The one on the left and the middle section are about the same length. The third piece (on the right) is shorter and is mounted on a hinge next to the wall.

The two primary access doors slide left and right. I used the original aluminum handle on the left and installed a light duty handle on the middle slider. The piece next to the wall is hinged so that if I need to get into that space I can open it up on the pivot of the hinges. I also set it up so that the right section sits above the inner piece of channel. It keeps the middle section from sliding to the right. All I have to do to move the middle section to the right is to press the panel in to form a by-pass.

There are lots of other solutions but it was impractical for us to use the spirals.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The galley and the bathroom tambour are a problem. One solution is to make the Tambour 2 piece which reduces the problem of feeding into the spiral. I finally gave up though and this was my solution.
Very nicely done using the tambour on the doors.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote