Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

tambour door handles

I have four new tambour precut doors for my bedroom overheads. Does anyone know how to get the handles off the old tambours? And how to reattach them?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie View Post
I have four new tambour precut doors for my bedroom overheads. Does anyone know how to get the handles off the old tambours? And how to reattach them?
We just tore apart the tambour on the kitchen cabinet but havent tried to get the handle off yet....I'll work on it and report back. It did look pretty firmly attached. Unless maybe somebody else knows????

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsltootsie View Post
Not sure what year your unit is as it's not in your profile. On our 71 they are on with adhesive. I had one pop loose - tried silicone but it didn't hold so I went with liquid nails. If you have one of the small snap off tip razor knifes you could run that down both sides of the channel and pull it free. In retrospect - my guess is they used contact cement originally.

Note the 72 service manual says they are held in place by screws thru the back side of the handle.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
I looked at the tambour handle on the one we took out of the Argosy--this one wasn't meant to be taken off. The back of the handle is 'punched' on--little punches all across the back of the handle--no glue, no screws, no way to get it off. If yours is like that, you might be able to drill out the punches and remove and replace the tambour, and reattach it with small screws. Looks like Airstream experimented with different ways to attach the handles. Hope yours isn't like this one!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had one come off. It was just pressed on and had the small dimples as described in the previous post. After I cleaned the racks and got it sliding easily I attached the handle again. I used clamps to squeeze the handle back onto the material. I used small pieced of wood with the clamps so the face would not be marred.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I had one come off. It was just pressed on and had the small dimples as described in the previous post. After I cleaned the racks and got it sliding easily I attached the handle again. I used clamps to squeeze the handle back onto the material. I used small pieced of wood with the clamps so the face would not be marred.

This one is not coming off, with force even. I tried prying it off, I had thought about using the handle for another project, but there is no way without bending it all out of shape. It is on there for good. Good luck with yours.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I think ours are the difficult ones, with the dimples. I'm going to try tapping a wood chisel which I hope will help pop it out. Thanks for all the info. I was afraid it would not be simple.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have done the handles in several trailers. Here's what worked for me. Using a hammer drive a flat head screw driver between the tambour and handle. The twist the screwdriver to widen the gap. Do this for the length of the handle until it releases.

To reattach hammer the gap closed using a hammer and a wood block. Use a center punch to dimple the handle. You can also drill and pop rivet the handle in position.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Thanks all. Lumatic's suggestions go along with what I already tried with success. We have a service station, so I went there to use the table clamp, and my son brought out a curved awl type of tool he said is used for pulling out hoses. That and my woodchisels, got them out fine. He use a pliers to tighten them back on. I had contact cement handy, but it didn't look like I would need it. Now, I hope they are not too short. I think I measured two strips too short. Mine were in pieces, so that is my excuse. But I'm hoping they work okay, otherwise, it is a big loss, about $80 each. Quite a lot for an education. This weekend, we go back to our trailer site and I will see how things go.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

A successful update: New tambours got completely installed this summer, and look great!! Size was perfect! Thanks Andy!