Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Tambour Door Guides

Has anyone been able to find the tambour door guides for 70's vintage cabinets? The plastic is showing its age.
I have looked and been unable to locate them.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
These have been suggested in the past. Don't know if they're 'exact' or not, but they look close.

these folks sell tambor, too.

http://www.outwater.com/track.htm
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

tambour

I got my replacements at Toscano RV. http://www.toscanorv.com/
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
How many do you need? For what cabinets? I have a few in my spare parts bins.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello - we,too, have a couple upper storage cabinet tambour door tracks (above the side gaucho) that are in need of replacement. They still function and are usable, but have cracked w/little pieces missing. Wondered HOW you do the replacement>do you take down the whole cabinet? Do they pop off/out? Had thought about it, but not really taken the time to study in depth. Brett, not to get in the way of Janet's husband, but how many would you have, enough to share w/two trailers? I'm pretty sure we are looking for 2.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
looks like all you have to do is unscrew the tracks, then the whole thing tilts inward, and you can pull it out. I wouldn't know, because I don't have ANY of the parts. PO ripped it all out. But I'd love to re-do the whole thing some day....add it to the list.

here's a nice photo essay that I bookmarked, showing how to repair the tambour. last couple of frame show the installation.

http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
looks like all you have to do is unscrew the tracks, then the whole thing tilts inward, and you can pull it out. I wouldn't know, because I don't have ANY of the parts. PO ripped it all out. But I'd love to re-do the whole thing some day....add it to the list.

here's a nice photo essay that I bookmarked, showing how to repair the tambour. last couple of frame show the installation.

http://www.silvertwinkie.com/tambour/index.html
Wow, that is a nice find. Not sure those tracks are the same as in our 78 Argosy Minuet, but idea is probibly the same, so I, too, will bkmark. Thanks

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Another question, From a different angle

Okay, I think I've searched the forums looking for answers. But I sometimes can't seem to come the exact information I need or want. that's when I apeal to you guys, this vast font of wisdom and information!
We have one or two sticky tambor door.... they don't want to roll up all the way. Pretty common problem I think, on these older units. They go part way up but I'm afraid to force them on the premise I may cause probles later!
So what does one do about it? I've cleaned tracks as best I can. First by blowing them out with canned air, and then lightly lubing them. Still sticky.
Any suggestions for me? Step by step directions for this dummy would be most appreciated. It's nice when I'm told to take something and then do this, but I don't really know how to take them apart! so I need info along the lines of...."Lok for a screw along both sides of the track. Take these out, then...." LOL!! Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 06-01-2004, 10:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Lithium grease

Hello..we have a 1976 Tradewind and the tambour door under the sink would NOT close at all. My Hubby used the lithium grease and worked the door back and forth . Viola.. works like a dream... cleaned up nicely.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote