Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2002, 10:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Taking apart Credenza....

I have to take apart the credenza to repair the tambour door in my 71' International. Is there an easy way?? Looks like the whole top must come off including the part that the table hangs from. UHG The piece I am talking about is located below the window and extends to the Frig. on the left side. NIce piece of furniture. Anyone did that yet??
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 06:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Take it apart

Your A/S manual should include the instructions for this project.
As I seem to recall, looking at mine..tis enought info included to take the entire unit apart..GAWD forbid,..lol
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Unhappy Crdenza...

What AS manual?? I have an owners manual that is mainly like a car manual. not much detail. Didn't know there was anything else.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
ref

A/S=Airstream. there usually exist an owner manual and, a Airstream maintance manual. Which has huge amounts of detailed info, detailing just abt everything..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 02:32 AM   #5
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Credenza Top

Mine is OFF...Don't Drool...
But, I had the table already off to be re-formica-ed...and Aluminum "T-Trim" installed on them. So, here is how we did it:
1. Remove the (back) table from the underneath part of the top...(It's like a piano hinge. You can leave the "Brass" bars ON the under part (they are really "anodized aluminum" bars.
(OK...now your tables are off and safely set aside & you've left the 'swing down' 'bars' on, ...the next step is.
2. Under the table part, and under the storage part (behind the Tambour Doors), reach toward the very back...and you'll find the top is attached to the Chassis with screws through another "brass" L-bracket...that runs the whole length of the credenza. Leave the L-Bracket ON the Chassis...just remove the screws from the top. (There's only about 5 screws to remove on the back part...and maybe 3 on the end "Frig.wall".
3. Also under these areas..look up (akward) and locate the screws that hold the top on to the front part. Remove the screws from where they go into the top again.
4. For the "Radio" part...all I can say is (MINE IS ALREADY REMOVED)...
I WOULD DO THE RADIO FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE...Remove the Radio just as though it was all you planned on removing...To do it, find the screws that hold it in and remove it..making notes how to reverse the process to put it back (if you want it) (someone on another thread wants to buy an 8-Track if you want to sell it. )...
NOW...do steps 1, 2 & 3, and your top should come off easy... now....

PREPARE..WARNING! .removal of this top WILL UNCOVER A MULTITUDE OF SINS! I found old cracked wiring...bad phone jacks...old rusted screws...and an OLD NICKLE (not worth anything!)

One thing I think everyone has to remember that hasn't done this yet...and everyone here who HAS remodelled will bear this out... you have to realize that with EACH NEW JOB, you will be led to many more NEW jobs that you never planned on.

"One thing leads to another" in other words.

I hope this has helped. Please ask me any questions if you have any.
........Cat