Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to BurnBound
Suggestions for Roll Cabinet replacement

I have a 72 Ambassador and have removed all of the roll cabinate closures are most were broken. I'm looking for any advice for replacing them.

I'm conceared about the formica holding new door hinges and latches, so I'm interested in how other people have delt with this. I'm not looking to restore, but to make the interior as durable as possible.

Thanks!

----------
Pictures
http://stage.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~ce328/airstream/airstream.html
BurnBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quick, sharp and easy. Cut 2 horizontal sliding doors for each storage locker out of sheet aluminum. You will also need to add a strip of material as a spacer in the lower track
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I cut two 3/4" x 1.5" strips and used those as a backing to screw cabinet doors into.

Worked well for me.

http://www.ldservice.com/tim/airstre...net%20Work.htm
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Send them to me! LOL!
-
those "roll closures" are called "tambour" doors, and they are known to be troublesome. a PO removed them from my '73...I would like to put them back.

The replacement that the PO chose is functional and easy to install, but I'm not fond of it. It would be 1000% better just by choosing a more appropriate colored material. but anyway, you can buy alluminum track at Home depot et. al, and just pop-rivet it to the bottom and top of the cabinets, then put in these pieces of fake paneling to make sliding doors.

http://home.comcast.net/~cac4/tambor/default.htm

these pics weren't taken to show the tracks, but you can get a pretty good idea if you look close in some of the shots.

seriously, I'd be happy to buy your tambour parts if you have no interest in restoring them. if the wood pieces aren't snapped in half or anything...just "sticky doors", or if they've become detached from the canvas backing, they can be fixed. I would need the scrolls and trim pieces, as well. you wouldn't want to try to attach a hinge to those thin pieces of formica, anyway. they wouldn't support it. The sliding door solution that I have covers over that area, so you wouldn't need them, if you go with this sort of solution.

pm me or email if you're interested: cac4 "at" comcast.net (anti-spam measure: just put an "@" where you think it should go )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Used Airstreams

Gee Chuck, I looked at the sliding door "fix" on your Airstream and I sympathize. I've bought new because I don't have the time or patience to restore a vintage unit, and seeing your PO's "fix" I couldn't agree more that he could have at least used a better color match on the paneling. I would also have been nice if he'd matched the fake panel seams for each set of sliding doors. Good luck in your search for replacement tambours. Were the originals wood or just woodgrained PVC? I think they look nice, but they do cut into your already restricted space in overhead cabinets.

The odds of finding a cabinet maker who'd do good quality replacement tambours isn't gonna happen is it? Buying a brand new A/S would probably be cheaper, too.

I wonder if your local vo-tech high school would take on this kind of work as a class project if you paid for the materials?
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote