Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Small Shelf behind front Gaucho

Can anyone tell me if they have removed this shelf and if so, How did you support the back of the Gaucho? The problem is, when it is made into a bed, this shelf takes up about 6 inches of bed space. I thought about somehow making it to fold down when it is a bed, then flip it back up when it is a couch. Maybe use some small braces that would fold to the side and cut a few inches off of each end. Does this shelf annoy anyone else but us?
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads
Can anyone tell me if they have removed this shelf and if so, How did you support the back of the Gaucho? The problem is, when it is made into a bed, this shelf takes up about 6 inches of bed space. I thought about somehow making it to fold down when it is a bed, then flip it back up when it is a couch. Maybe use some small braces that would fold to the side and cut a few inches off of each end. Does this shelf annoy anyone else but us?
By a strange coincidence, I was looking at the same shelf in our new trailer. You could put hinges on the wall side, with two hinged braces to hold it up, and fold back to allow the shelf to drop flat against the front wall.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
That is what I am thinking also. it very annoying when you are trying to sleep. My grandaughter kept rolling up under it and hitting her head in her sleep! I think I will try it. i will post some pictures when it is done in case any one else wants to try it!
Tammy
Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
I have a similiar "shelf" in my Bambi II but it is only 4" wide so it hasn't been a bother for us. My 2002 Bambi doesn't have the shelf behind it -- just an open space for storing blankets.

I can see how it would be an issue with a small child (my husband and I are not at risk of rolling under it, that's for sure). IMHO, the hinged shelf idea is a good one. Let us know what you end up doing.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
I have had the same problem with the shelf in my 1070 trailer. I don't think hinges will work, however, dueto the curved front surface. I think putting the shelf on rmoveable brackets will work. Haven't had time to locate such a thing yet though.
Greg
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Another good idea Greg. I was thinking of cutting the curved edges off. That way it would fold down with ease.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Our side gaucho in our GT has a folding shelf. Its a piano hinge riveted to the wall and screwed to the wood. It's held in the "up" position with sliding latches (underneath) that slide into the wood panels on either end. It's square so it's different than what you are talking about. However, if you cut the rounded portions of yours off and permanently mounted them to the walls, then you could probably do something similar with the majority of the shelf - hinge it down and use the corners to attach a fastener to to hold it up.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have seen shelf brackets that have slots, and the shelf sits down into the slots. When you don't want the shelf up, just lift it out of the slots, and store it away.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I have a 78 Argosy with this same shelf in the front and on the back bed also. I have the double bed in the back on one side and I just took the shelf off. To tell you the truth when the bed is put back into a couch, I don't notice that shelf is not there. The little extra cushion that fits in under that shelf is just left standing up and the back of the couch rests on it. I haven't taken the front shelf out, but I've sure thought about it. The dogs like to stand on it, so it's stayed for now.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Funny thing happened at the harware store..

When I went to the hardware store yesterday to get the piano hinges to fix the shelf, the little old man that was helping me ask me what I was going to do with it. I told him about my Airstream. He said, "I have an Airstream also. It is a 78 Sovereign. I have been trying to sell it. It is fully restored. I had the curtains clean and couldnt put them back up.". He ask me if I would care to come over and put them up for him. I told him to give me a call and I would be glad too. I told him about the forums but he doesnt have a computer. So I told him I would tell everyone about his camper. If anyone is interested, I have his phone number and name, he turned out to be the owner of the Hardware Store . I told him I would take some pictures for him and help him sell it. I havent seen it yet but plan on going over this weekend sometime and put the curtains up. He says it is 40 ft, but I wonder if that is right. He only wants 6500.00 for it. I plan on putting it on ebay if no-one is interested. you can PM me and I will give you his name and number.
Also, My husband has come up with a clever idea for the shelf, i will post pictures as soon as we get started!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
... If anyone is interested, I have his phone number and name, he turned out to be the owner of the Hardware Store . I told him I would take some pictures for him and help him sell it. I havent seen it yet but plan on going over this weekend sometime and put the curtains up. He says it is 40 ft, but I wonder if that is right. He only wants 6500.00 for it. I plan on putting it on ebay if no-one is interested. you can PM me and I will give you his name and number.
That's a real nice thing to do!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
shelf

hi- you might be able to find some "lockable" hinges, or shelf brackets, like the ones that formerly held up the fold-down shelf next to the cooktop in my '72 Overlander. When I remodeled the trailer, I used those hinges for the gaucho shelf, so it now folds down out of the way as you have described. You have to cut the shelf off where it starts to curve around, as mentioned, but otherwise this works very nicely. Good luck- tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	118-1839_IMG.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	37844  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Hey, I like that idea of the collapsable hinges. Where can I find hinges like that?? I am total newbie....
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Shelf

We decided to cut the ends where it starts to curve, leaving the curves intact and adding a piano hinge to the center part of the shelf. My husband came up with the idea of placing to slide lock bolts (best I can describe them, normally used as a small lock on a door), right uderneath each end to hold it back up when we need it for the Gaucho. But I do like th idea of the folding latches also.
Also had another question, has anyone addded a small collapsable tabe to the small wall inside the door, a miniture of the dinette? I have found that when I sit on that end of the couch I have nowhere to put my drinks, etc. I thought it would be nice to have something to sit things on when needed but would fold out of the way when we are not using it. Thanks for all the previous input. A lot of great ideas!!
Tammy
Old 05-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
drinks

hi- you could certainly build in a little fold-down table in that location, using some of the ideas in this thread. You could also build a little book rack, with a top shelf big enough for drinks and stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	116-1626_IMG.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	38052  
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Shelf removed....then replaced

Tammy,
I removed the shelf in my 69 Caravel (now my brothers) and then had to replace it. I found that the seating was way too uncomfortable without it there. It pushed me too far into the seat and my head kept hitting the overhead. I did cut out the street side area and built in a shelf topped storage compartment. It made a perfect, usable table top surface for the cold beverage, hot tea, flamingo lamp or book.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Craigs Airstream Gaucho area.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	38057  
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
shelf

Thanks for the good ideas. We still havent started on it. Robin, that is a very nice looking Camper! When are you going to show everyone those cute curtains? We went and looked at a 65 Tradewind. Needs some work, but a very good price. Maybe we will start a collection too.....
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM   #18
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The shelf is there to store your fly rods and the tool for the zipdee awning.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Finally Finished the shelf

Well, it took a little while to figure out. And John said he wasnt doing this again. It took him 2 days with cutting, sanding, gluing etc.. but it is finally done. Personally, I think it turned out great. He used a piano hinge and 2 slide locks as you will see in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	38743  
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds like what we have (Post #7)...with the trimming of the corners it should work just fine - ours does.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote