Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Sliding pantry slider replacement help? (The narrow, wire rack style pantry)

I guess I let too much stuff fall down through the wire racks of my 2012 FB Eddie Bauer sliding pantry. The lower sliding assembly has rusted to the point where it's difficult to use, so I'm repairing it.

So far I've got the pantry assembly removed. This required removing 6 screws from each of the two sliders. It was painful as the only way you can get at the screws is by contorting your body to fit around the rack assembly (with the wire racks removed, of course) and then remove the screws with a stubby Phillips head screw driver. I couldn't get my fat mitts around the stubby driver and still keep the necessary angle on the screw head (and I didn't dare stripping the screws so I had to be super careful). The top and bottom rear most screws required me to use my left hand at full extension kind of back handed. Thankfully all the screws started ok, but on some of them, because of the cramped location, I could only turn the driver an eighth of a turn or less before readjusting my grip. Oh, and I had to be slightly bent at the knees for the top rear screw, and hunched over on my haunches for the bottom rear most screw. Seriously, painful.

There was a south swell here in Santa Cruz two weeks ago and on one of those days I took pretty heavy wipeouts, full body tumbles while being pummeled by the breaking wave. Next day, no aches or pains. Today my hands are sore and my back is aching in odd places after doing battle with the pantry.

Now the sliders are out and I need to replace them. Does anyone know the Airstream part number for these?

Does anyone who has replaced these have any tips for making the re-installation process easier? I confess, I'm dreading the prospect.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
I guess I let too much stuff fall down through the wire racks of my 2012 FB Eddie Bauer sliding pantry. The lower sliding assembly has rusted to the point where it's difficult to use, so I'm repairing it.

So far I've got the pantry assembly removed. This required removing 6 screws from each of the two sliders. It was painful as the only way you can get at the screws is by contorting your body to fit around the rack assembly (with the wire racks removed, of course) and then remove the screws with a stubby Phillips head screw driver. I couldn't get my fat mitts around the stubby driver and still keep the necessary angle on the screw head (and I didn't dare stripping the screws so I had to be super careful). The top and bottom rear most screws required me to use my left hand at full extension kind of back handed. Thankfully all the screws started ok, but on some of them, because of the cramped location, I could only turn the driver an eighth of a turn or less before readjusting my grip. Oh, and I had to be slightly bent at the knees for the top rear screw, and hunched over on my haunches for the bottom rear most screw. Seriously, painful.

There was a south swell here in Santa Cruz two weeks ago and on one of those days I took pretty heavy wipeouts, full body tumbles while being pummeled by the breaking wave. Next day, no aches or pains. Today my hands are sore and my back is aching in odd places after doing battle with the pantry.

Now the sliders are out and I need to replace them. Does anyone know the Airstream part number for these?

Does anyone who has replaced these have any tips for making the re-installation process easier? I confess, I'm dreading the prospect.
Do you have a photo of the pantry and slide?

Our's failed on the walk-thru...Were 'repaired' before delivery and failed again when first used.🤬

Upon inspection...found balls on the floor... about a 1/2 dozen went missing.
I divided them equally between the two slides.

Airstream did send me the replacement slides, the dealer had gone belly-up.
My MacGyver has lasted since '04, the replacements are at home in the curbside rear storage compartment.

I can relate to the contortions, but have nothing to offer 15 yrs later.
Even if I could remember how I did it...I could't do it.🥴

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 03-14-2024, 09:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Jose , California
I am in the same predicament. Any tips on where to obtain replacement ball bearing slider rails?
Jq
BHChieftain is offline   Reply With Quote