Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
Slide Out Pantry glides

During our last trip we kept noticing small ball bearings on the floor. At the same time, the slide out pantry was getting harder to open and close. When we got home, I took the pantry out and called my closest AS dealer. I knew I was in trouble when the lady asked what was the part number in the owners manual. I tried to explain to her that our manual did not give any info that explicit. She said she would see what she could find and get back with me. When I did not hear for her after two days, I assumed she gave up. Since I have built a number of kitchen cabinets I thought this can't be that hard to find new drawer glides. I took the old ones out (they are mounted on the bottom of the floor of the pantry) and looked for a Manufacturer or model number. I found the designation KV and knew this was a well known company. I looked in my Woodworkers' Hardware catalog and found that the model is the KV8000 (mine are the 18" size - full extension). I ordered a new pair for $69.00 including shipping. I am waiting for them to arrive. I thought this info might be helpful to others in need.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had to replace my pantry slides. Unfortunately not until after warranty was over. Someone at the factory had put in a screw from the kitchen side that was way too long and dug into the slide. It lasted several years that way, getting more difficult to pull out the pantry. One day, there were bearings all over the place and the pantry was stuck half in and half out.

I found a slide set at a woodworker's store that fit and replaced the slides. It wasn't until I had the pantry out that I saw the protruding screw. The screw was about 2 1/2" long and should have been maybe 1 1/4" long.

So much for quality control at Airstream.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I have seem similar quality problems in my 2007. My 1996 Sovereign had much better quality and better utilization of all available space.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I finished installing the new pantry glides today and will include pictures since I have been asked to do so. Pardon the picture quality. I used my wife's Ipod which I have never used before. Pictures are: 2-pantry upside down showing new brackets on bottom, 3-Pantry opening top - tab protruding down is where the thumb latch holds the pantry closed,4-Pantry opening bottom (bad photo) but you can see the lower brackets that the glides attach to, a flash light and the dark spot in the middle is a typical door bracket which aids in keeping the pantry closed, 1-Pantry installed - a few inches were lost at the top when I installed a microwave oven which the AS did not have and needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-4.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	170075   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-5.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	170076  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6.JPG