Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St Louis , Missouri
Sink and counter top replacement

Going to replace the countertops in my 72 Safari. Has anyone done this? Is it better to remove the entire top and refinish and then put on? What is involved with taking off the countertop? Any ideas will help.
slimitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
I just resurfaced my '65 GT counter top after a little research it sounds like removing the old counter top is a lot of work. I just sanded the old top and then used contact cement and glued the new Formica right on top of the old and it turned out very well.

http://www.formica.com/publish/site/...urf%20Tech.pdf
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I redid my countertop and sink because I wanted to put in a cooler looking, deeper sink. Removing the countertop wasn't that hard but once it was off it was a perfect time to redo the cabinets - then the floor, then you might as well re-stain the whole thing and also paint... then you HAVE to redo the upholstery. And then you have to redo the redone upholstery AGAIN because the person who did it the first time made the cushion covers a foot short..... turned into a whole lot of work but removing the old counter was a piece of cake compared to the rest. And it all started with a cooler looking, deeper sink.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.

-John Muir
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
A few examples

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...rtop-3645.html
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
We totally replaced the whole countertops in the Tradewind. Getting the old ones out was easy, disconnect the plumbing and there were about eight screws from the frame below and it lifted right out. Same for the bath. Made brand new tops using particle board and Formica Brand laminate. Made both new tops in one night.

Check out the photos. tradewind
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
If you have the tools go ahead and replace the whole thing. Mine was delaminating anyway.
Used "light-weight" partical board from the local hardwood supplier and a light maple colored laminate that was a close match the original.
While I was at it, I picked up an extra sheet of laminate and rebuilt the table and side shelves the next year.

Good Luck, Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
We started from scratch. Home Depot counter top, Ikea cupboard doors, home built custom frame.

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...500&userid=682
Old 01-07-2008, 05:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
our kitchen window had leaked and destroyed the plywood and lifted the laminate. It was easy to remove after removing the range and sink that you'd take out anyway. It was screwed to the wall as rickandsandi said with about 8 screws. Our face frame an shelf uprights were attached to the bottom of the countertop with glue and some 1" staples. It easily came apart after scoring with a utility knife and gentle persuation. I used the old as a template because it was out of square slightly and already scribed to the outside wall. With all new cabinet grade plywood and new laminate it made for a great countertop and just a light as the original. All done in a couple hours. Both our local Lowes and Home Depot could order from a regional warehouse all the vintage laminate designs and the sheet arrived at the store in less than a week.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikles
I redid my countertop and sink because I wanted to put in a cooler looking, deeper sink. Removing the countertop wasn't that hard but once it was off it was a perfect time to redo the cabinets - then the floor, then you might as well re-stain the whole thing and also paint... then you HAVE to redo the upholstery. And then you have to redo the redone upholstery AGAIN because the person who did it the first time made the cushion covers a foot short..... turned into a whole lot of work but removing the old counter was a piece of cake compared to the rest. And it all started with a cooler looking, deeper sink.
It's a slippery slope, isn't it!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote