Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Rustoleum Countertop Coating?

Has anyone tried this product made specifically for reworking countertops? If so, would like to hear how it went and see pics if you have them.
rayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Here are some reviews:
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rust-Oleum Specialty 29 Oz Tintable Specialty Countertop Coating - 254853

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Ya, I saw those and thought it was quite a mixed bag. We're eventually planning to replace our tops but have too many projects to finish up before our trip out West in July. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Courtice , Ontario
My 1976 Land Yacht is in desperate need of a new or refinished counter top for the
bathroom - stains and discoloration are really becoming unbearable to look at - any thoughts on what to look for in a paint/finish/protector?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Trvlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
We did end up spraying the counter and sink in our 69 Overlander and spraying our counter tops in the kitchen prior to our month long trip out west. Mainly because, like you, we just couldn't stand to look at the discoloration in the ABS counter and sink in the bathroom. We're visual artists and it's been a real eye sore since owning ours and we thought, there's no way we're looking at this daily for a month. Out logic was it couldn't be worse. We also didn't have the money to completely redo the bathroom so we used Krylon Fusion made for plastic and other surfaces. I've used the Rustoleum spray paint for plastic (not the counter top product) in the past and didn't care for it as much-it stayed tacky way too long and was hard to cure under humid conditions-which I know is tough on most sprays. The Krylon Fusion covered well, dried fast, came in a lot of nice color choices, and it could re-coated within the same day waiting at least 5-6 hours for it to set up using a fan. We chose a darker color and just sprayed the sink and adjoining counter/surround and the plastic frame around our medicine cabinets in the shower. We didn't paint the entire bathroom (for a few reasons one of which it's made of two materials: ABS plastic and fiberglass) so now it's two-toned which I normally wouldn't like but it came out pretty nice. The hardest thing was masking off everything and covering everything we didn't want to paint. We did two big coats and then brought a quartz work lamp in there to really see what the coverage was and had to do a third touch up coat. The hardest area was the surround that wraps around the toilet. If we weren't on a time crunch I would have pulled the toilet and the sink faucet out and gone to town. Another option we considered was hiring Miracle Method-or a company like them to come in a spray out the whole bathroom with their product which is essentially a fiberglass paint. There are quite a few companies who offer to refinish existing counter tops, tile, tub and things like that and essentially they are all using a fiberglass based spray system. We have it in one of our bathrooms and it's really tough stuff. I would prefer to eventually do that because I know that the Krylon will likely scuff or scratch at some point-we scratched the kitchen counter slightly but even with that, it's a thousand times better than what it looked like prior to spraying it and it's held up better than I thought would. Good luck-Hope that helps!

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I plan on coating my bathroom ugly stained plastic with car upolstry paint. I have sprayed dash boards with this stuff and it seems to stay put. Some female PO's daughter I would think spilled nail polish remover on the dash board on my Excursion on the passenger side. The dash was tan and the nail polish remover uncovered the black plastic underneath. I sprayed the dash with this stuff a couple years ago and it looks good as new right now and this is in the sun alot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
I would guess the formulation for upholstery paint would bond well to ABS. I forgot to mention that we took some 400 grit sandpaper to the ABS and wiped it down with alcohol prior to spraying it.

It is impossible to achieve the aim without suffering-unknown source from a Robert Fripp album-
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Why is it every thread on these forums when someone asks a question about a specific product that if no one has used it everybody feels like they have to tell the poster what they used when he is asking about a specific product. Many hours WASTED looking through answers irrelevant to the initial question asked by the poster.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Why is it every thread on these forums when someone asks a question about a specific product that if no one has used it everybody feels like they have to tell the poster what they used when he is asking about a specific product. Many hours WASTED looking through answers irrelevant to the initial question asked by the poster.
That's not always a bad thing. If no one has used the product the original poster asked about, recommending a different product is still better than leaving the OP hanging with no responses because no one has used it.

Recommending a different product that is known to work for the application the OP has in mind is not irrelevant, since it at least gives the OP choices he might not otherwise be aware of.

If you want to cut down on the wasted hours looking through posts, try doing a keyword search in the thread, to identify posts that specifically mention the product you're wondering about.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's not always a bad thing. If no one has used the product the original poster asked about, recommending a different product is still better than leaving the OP hanging with no responses because no one has used it.

Recommending a different product that is known to work for the application the OP has in mind is not irrelevant, since it at least gives the OP choices he might not otherwise be aware of.

If you want to cut down on the wasted hours looking through posts, try doing a keyword search in the thread, to identify posts that specifically mention the product you're wondering about.
I understand the KEYWORD search function,but
there are a lot of products that I may not be specifically looking for but someone asks a question about it and I am interested in it. Thinking I might learn something about the specific product for not only use in an airstream but possibly for use in a rental house or somewhere else. Instead I end up searching through countless threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the original question that was asked. Just like this conversation that is going on now. Done with this thread. Thanks
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Too bad the Rust-Oleum didn't pan out. Krylon is often mentioned for a good durable coat (for ABS, I believe), but here's an idea from the Owners Manual of my '74 Sov:

Sandpaper. Yep, they recommend trying sandpaper for stubborn stains. From my own experience, do NOT use a sander, my palm sander was too aggressive, and left a small burn mark. I don't have my manual here, but if anyone does, perhaps they could post the main points? As in all sanding jobs, you need to wind up with a very fine paper, but you do not start with a very coarse one.

Automotive paste wax to finish it off, IIRC...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
Thinking I might learn something about the specific product for not only use in an airstream but possibly for use in a rental house or somewhere else. Instead I end up searching through countless threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the original question that was asked. Just like this conversation that is going on now. Done with this thread. Thanks
Hmmm... You are on an Airstream forum wanting info for, perhaps, a rental house and are bothered when the topic strays away from a particular product? It probably IS best that you abandon this thread and try a Google search on the use of the product in rental houses or somewhere else.

Tim
Old 08-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Interesting slightly snarky comment, I actually have had similar thoughts as panheaddale but would never say so for fear of offending as I know most of us just want to help. There is so much GREAT information that I often use but sometimes we all stray quite far from the topics or titles. (like me now There was a recent poster who asked us to stick to more of the point and that seemed to sit okay with the readers.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Interesting slightly snarky comment
I know, but I just could not resist after his first post saying, "Many hours WASTED looking through answers irrelevant to the initial question asked by the poster." That first post was number 8 on this thread, so I hope he really meant looking at a bunch of threads since the posts prior to his were pretty short. The one from me even pointed him in the direction of reviews of the product in question.

Privately, panheaddale responded, "I didn't even have to look and see that you were from cali." He is probably right, we Californians tend to be a snarky bunch!

Tim
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The stuff I used was made by a company called SEM.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayandre View Post
I would guess the formulation for upholstery paint would bond well to ABS. I forgot to mention that we took some 400 grit sandpaper to the ABS and wiped it down with alcohol prior to spraying it.
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Shaker Heights , Ohio
Ok, since I started this thread I'll chime in on two issues: Perry-thanks for mentioning SEM-you brought it home for all of us-I'll look it up on Google. When I asked about the Rustoleum product for counters it was because of a Google search I had begun with and thought-"maybe...just maybe, someone on the Forums used this and can tell me about their experience so I might be able to make a better informed decision about options for a solution to my 2 problem areas." While I did not get a direct response from a person who used the product, the first response showing a link to reviews was helpful because I had not seen the reviews and it actually steered me away from the product due to performance and cost. Also, because of timing and budget, I ended up using something else. When someone chimed in a month later to ask what they should use-and having the identical circumstances as I, I decided to post a reply to my own thread telling them what my solution ended up being. No harm done, no snarkyness, no BS and unfortunately no pictures. I can understand some of the frustration as I've poured through these threads for the past 4 years as a rookie and new AS owner trying to learn and figure things out. In my 4 years doing so I will say that my "wasted time" was fully compensated by the highly productive, informative and specific information I've found on this Forum. In fact, here's a little lesson in how this tends to work: when I've "wasted" so much time trying to find an answer even after a key word search, I break down, grab a cold one, and post a specific question BECAUSE....and here's the kicker...because I couldn't find an answer to a specific question, product or process. OMG-now I'm wasting more time-better get back to my cold one...or was that a shot of JD-lost track.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Sachse , Texas
We just finished coating our kitchen countertop with the Rust-Oleum Countertop Coating. It worked real well. We cleaned the countertop well and then just rolled the coating on. Its like having a new countertop. I do suggested to roll it on and not brush it. It doesn't take very long to dry and the odor does not last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3217.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	193275   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3219.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	193276  

Name:	CIMG3220.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	193277  
PJ Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
That is nice. I'm eager to see how long it stays that way.

Did you remove the stove to paint the counter?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Sachse , Texas
No, actually I just taped everything off. The paint is very easy to work with.
PJ Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Watkinsville , Georgia
Tried it. I am kind of mixed on the result. I think if I had to do it over again, I would just replace
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	199193   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0638.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	199194  

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg