Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Question roof locker latch help

Just got in 5 of the roof locker latches for our 69, but other than the bathroom mirror, I don't understand what was there to catch on. Does anyone with that vintage have a picture of watch those little plastic latches click onto? Was it a metal piece or a wood block or what? Anyone have a picture of what they look like? Also unclear why they have two holes for screws but aren't mounted by them (reminants of the originals are pop riveted into the wood through holes in the other face of the 90 degree bend). These are them (pic is from Andy's website)
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
They catch onto a right angle catch which is screwed to the bottom of the cabinet or 'locker'. Strange that the 'locks' you got wouldn't also have inclded the catch. I replaced the few broken ones I had with small spring loaded metal locks from a cabinet hardware supply. I will check this thread later and if no one provides a picture I will take one of ours. It is dark out there right now.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I purchased a few of these (pricey huh?) and they had the holes as pictured. I drilled holes in the other face and they worked fine. The plastic is brittle and you'll need to be careful to let the drill do the work and not to push too hard or you'll risk breaking the latch. They are pictured upside down and as per FreshAir they catch a bracket on the bottom of the cabinet.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
yeah pricey, but understand why, I mean I doubt Airstream sold the molds for anything less than a big sum of money, and even at 8-10 bucks a pop after paying to have em made it will or has taken a long time I'm sure to come close to breaking even. They show a catch on inland RV but they call it a "cabinet catch strike" , but call this a "roof locker latch". No measurement on the item... Did you reattach your latches with pop rivets or wood screws?

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
My latches

Here a photos of both kinds of latches in our Trade Wind. There is the original plastic one as you have. The catch that you are looking for is no more than a piece of metal with a bend a little more than a right angle to catch the latch. I like you had a few broken latches when we first got the trailer. I of course wanted to replace them with the original. However, the price I thought was unreal so I lowered my standard a wee bit. The cabinet latch pictured works well. It looks much more large and cumbersome in the photograph than it actually is. I bought it (them) at Orchard Supply Hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream ceiling locker latch 003.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	54414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream ceiling locker latch 004.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	54415  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream ceiling locker latch 006.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	54416  
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
My roof lockers were originally mounted with screws and I reused them. They were screwed into the back side of the cabinet door - not into the edge of the door as FreshAir has pictured.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote