Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake Tapps , Washington
Roller wheels for slide-out table

I need new wheels for my 1979 24' Excella motor home sliding table assembly. I am not sure if they are specific to the AS motor homes, or if AS used them in the trailers too. When I removed it for carpet tear-out, I found loose ball bearings and little wheel bits in the tracks. Who would guess they would only last 30 years!

I am enjoying these challenges: Installing vinyl flooring, sealing a few leaks, replacing the missing stove, counter, and sink, rebuilding carburator and exhaust, replacing the huge sway bar bushings, alternator and battery isolator, and new brake master cylinder.

Fun stuff so far, but I want to take it skiing! New to AS and love them for their classic style and quality!

Thanks for any ideas!

Grandpa Ripper
grandparippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Roller wheels

Hi,
We're you able to solve your problem with the roller wheels? We bought a 1979 28ft Excella motorhome and found the roller wheels need replacing. I don't know where to look to find replacements. I have tried several RV salvage companies but no luck in locating anything. Any suggestions?
Lynn
Elskedeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Post a pic if you can. My first thought is to look at the screen door hardware section at your local big box store. There are several wheels and things that might work. I actually was able to replace wheel rollers on a light mover from my greenhouse by parts there, and they were an exact match. You might be able to take some apart and replace parts. the wheels inside sliding track - like for drawers in your kitchen may work - just don't know without a pic.
Rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Roller wheels

Hi Rob,
My husband and I have gone to several stores trying to find wheels that will work. The screen door wheels will not support the weight of the table. I have attached a photo and will send another as it won't allow me to attach both at the same time. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lynn
Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Roller wheels

Here are the photos of the wheels. I guess they didn't upload the first time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	232233  
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That looks like 1/2 of a full drawer extension slider.

This might be more commonly seen in industrial use or office furniture like file cabinets.

Rockler might have it.

Paula
Old 02-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Wheel rollers

Hi Paula,
I don't think it's what's used in a filing cabinet or drawers, we've checked Rockler's website.
Thanks,
Lynn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	232249  
Old 02-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
They look like they are made of plastic.
I would look for metal shoulder bolt bearings. They will probably be a single roller bearing. But you could drill another hole and mount one on each side.
A bearing supply house or McMaster Carr would carry such an item.
You could even use a shoulder bolt and mount a bearing with the correct inside and outside diameter. Not sure what the end clearance would have to be. A standard roller bearing or even ball bearing would be much stronger and last forever.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
couple options: Rubber Caster Wheels - Princeton, Indiana
https://www.google.com/search?q=rubb...2F%3B320%3B240

rob
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake Tapps , Washington
Better solution!

Yes, I did figure a better way to solve the overly complex and unobtainable parts! I tried finding wheels first, then spoke to a genius fabricator that I know. He suggested skipping the wheels and machining a piece of Delrin plastic in each wheel mount area. You can cut the stuff with a table saw and router just like wood and it has a slick teflon sort of a feel to it, so it slides easily in the metal track! I bought an odd small chunk from a local plastics supply house.

I tried to machine it a bit too tight to prevent rattling, but that was not necessary. I used a little silicone spray in the track and it is wonderful!

I have some photos in my other computer if you want to see what I did.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake Tapps , Washington
Photos of Delrin sliders

I cut one long one to size on my table saw, then sliced it in half to have two. I used my router to recess the bolts.
Slick!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table slider detail.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	232378   Click image for larger version

Name:	table sliders.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	232379  

Old 02-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Hi,
I would love to see your other photos! Also my husband wants to know how you removed the old roller wheels? He has been trying to figure out how they come apart. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Lynn
Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lake Tapps , Washington
Wheel to slider process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elskedeen1 View Post
Hi,
I would love to see your other photos! Also my husband wants to know how you removed the old roller wheels? He has been trying to figure out how they come apart. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Lynn
The photos are there now. If I remember right, I drilled the old rivited roller assembly out. They were overly complex and the rubber wheels were failure bound from age. Too many parts to break or fail, plus rubber is prone to deterioration. Mine are 35 years old!

Once drilled out, I bolted the new sliders onto the wheel holding frames. I had notched the Delrin plastic to slide into the roller track. I beveled the edges with my table saw to match the curviture of the tracks. It took a few tries, but I wanted to start off too tight and gradually sliver off enough to make them slide easily without binding.
I clamped them into my work bench and carefully used my router to carve off enough of the body to keep the bolt heads and nylock nuts from hitting the tracks from the inside.

Once bolted up and lightly lubricated, they work great and will probably never need to be replaced!