Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Flintridge , California
Replacing the counter top ?

Hello everyone,
I am going to replace the tambour and countertops on in my kitchen and I can't figure out how to remove them safely so that I can keep the fronts. They seem to have a few screws holding the counter down but they were put in before the oven I believe. The tambour boxes were loaded using magic apparently as they don't have any screws. Any experience that can be shared would be appreciated.
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Monroe , Michigan
Did you ever figure something out? We drilled through the rivets and used a flathead screwdriver to help pry the boards apart. We tried to save it but ended up replacing everything. Not done yet either. We are in the process of building in more cabinets.
~1975 Trillium 13'
...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Flintridge , California
Countertop jigsaw puzzle

Hey Katty,
I did figure out how they did it. It required you you to take out the stove and there were several screws hidden behind it. After that, every time that you took another piece out, it made it easier to get the next piece out. I guess that the stove was the last piece that they put in. Cheers.
Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote