Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
replacing plywood frame cover for twin beds

The plywood frame covers on my Flying Cloud 27fb developed some mold. As I was scrubbing with vinegar and borax it dawned on me. Why not just replace them. Seems like I could use them as a template to cut new ones from some 3/8" plywood. Has anyone else done this?
Old 05-09-2023, 08:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Chula Vista , California
I have, but only to match the twin mattress that was wider than the factory plywood base.
I bought a single sheet and cut it to fit.
I then used the left over scrap piece to add on to the second original twin plywood, screwing it to the wall side of the bed.
No mattress overhang now.
Oreg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I had a similar concern about mold when I first got my trailer, a couple years ago. I did a couple things as part of my remedy to that concern.

1) used a cleaning solution with mold treatment/mold killer on the plywood surfaces
2) new plywood over the original plywood, also several inches wider to improve mattress support on the center aisle side. I used some large cardboard as a template for the curved sections, traced the template onto the plywood, then cut
3) put a ventilation “mesh” product (hypervent ?) between the mattress and the plywood to prevent any future problems, several commercial products are available for this
4) replaced the mattresses

So far, so good ….
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:22 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
bow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StreamDream View Post
I had a similar concern about mold when I first got my trailer, a couple years ago. I did a couple things as part of my remedy to that concern.

1) used a cleaning solution with mold treatment/mold killer on the plywood surfaces
2) new plywood over the original plywood, also several inches wider to improve mattress support on the center aisle side. I used some large cardboard as a template for the curved sections, traced the template onto the plywood, then cut
3) put a ventilation “mesh” product (hypervent ?) between the mattress and the plywood to prevent any future problems, several commercial products are available for this
4) replaced the mattresses

So far, so good ….
Hmm. I'm wondering now if it might not be a good idea to finish getting rid of the mold, then using the mesh product. I've already replaced the mattresses.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
The additional support on the edges of the mattresses is worth of the cost of replacing the narrow plywood! More support means more comfort when either sitting or sleeping. We just took our original plywood off, recut new plywood with the additional width and put the new wider one down. We also used Hypervent to limit the moisture under the mattresses.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 01:10 PM   #6

2008 25' Safari
Lowell , Arkansas
Faced with this, I went with 3/4 7 ply birch, and with the oversize mattress, it is wonderful! PO tried to do it with 3/8 3 ply, and it was awful, seemed like you were sliding off of the bed every time you rolled over.
J. L. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreg52 View Post
I have, but only to match the twin mattress that was wider than the factory plywood base.
I bought a single sheet and cut it to fit.
I then used the left over scrap piece to add on to the second original twin plywood, screwing it to the wall side of the bed.
No mattress overhang now.
The mattress overhang doesn't bother my wife but it bothers me. I am going to follow your lead on this.
Thanks!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote