Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Removing Kitchen counter assembly

I need some advice on removing the kitchen counter assembly to get access to the furnace ducts and carpet. I have been in a continual process of modifying our 2001 Excella 30' because of my wife's toxic sensitivity to synthetic materials such as fabrics and padding. I have already replaced all the furniture with solid wood and removed the exposed carpet, wall and ceiling covering, and curtains. It is still not "clean" enough so I want to remove the carpet under the cabinet and while it is apart replace the plastic furnace ducts with metal ducts. Removing the cabinet looks like a fairly straightforward process. I hope someone that has done it can help make sure I don't get in over my head. It looks like I remove the microwave, remove the gas cook top, disconnect the sinks, remove the screws holding the cabinet to the floor and side wall, and just lift it out. Am I missing anything? It appears the corian is not attached to the side wall. Is it safe to leave the corian attached to the cabinet structure and leave the sinks attached to the corian during the removal and replacement?

Thanks for all assistance.
Mark
quality parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Sounds right to me. There may be screws into the floor as well. Obviously you will want the gas off when disconnecting the range.

I don't know about the Corian, though. Perhaps someone else here does.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tips. I plan to work on it in the next few days and was hoping there was not a hidden screw that you have to take the whole trailer apart to get to.
Mark
Old 12-10-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

this is just FYI and a progress report. I had a chance to get it apart this week. It looked the safest to remove the Corian counter top before moving the cabinet so that is what I did. Left the sinks attached to the Corian and removed about a dozen screws. I got some help and two of us just lifted it off and carefully set it on the bathroom floor. Then there were very few screws holding the cabinet base to the walls and floor. The hardest were the several long screws attaching it to the closet wall. Once the screws were removed, we just lifted it away from the wall and slid it out from under the drain pipe and into the living area. What a lot of construction debris they leave in concealed places. We have seen this throughout this whole project. I sure wish someone at Airstream would use a shop vac before installing the interior.

Now I can get to work changing the ducts to metal instead of plastic and cleaning up the air path areas.

If anyone is interested in further progress, let me know. Otherwise I'll let this thread die.

Mark
Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Never say die!

Deconstruction is always interesting. Someone will come along and need the info you are sharing. Keep posting. Get a camera and take pictures. Good luck in your porject.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote