Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
Removing Front Floor Cabinet

I'd like to install a flush mount nightlight in between the the twin beds on a 25" FBT. I'll need access to behind marked attached photo to mount. I don't necessarily need to remove the panel but I would like to remove the shelf that holds the nightstand to gain access. Any hints?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	671.5 KB
ID:	365263  

nedmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I would start with removing the draws. Remove the drop down doors and look inside. You may find 12 volt power to tap into too.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
I can remove the top drawer night stand cabinetry, but I need to get behind the facing wall below the drawer (yellow circle) since I need to get the mounting bracket installed from behind. I would assume I can just remove the wood top shelf that that the drawer cabinet sits on to get access but I'm not sure how to.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Crystal Lake , Illinois
I do not have your same model, but I am in the process of gutting my Airstream, and everything Airstream attached together is with aluminum angle and screws. On rare occasion, some have been riveted to the interior skins. I just drilled them out with an 1/8" drill. Easy. Your top will probably be attached with screws from the inside. Get in there with a flash light and look.
Airstreamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
that cabinet board is the back board of the front storage compartment so behind it is the storage space. You shouldn;t have to remove it to add a night light. You can run the 12V wire over to the curbside corner where the inverter and 12V battery buses are located. Often there are some spare 12V pair spare there already.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamfan View Post
I do not have your same model, but I am in the process of gutting my Airstream, and everything Airstream attached together is with aluminum angle and screws. On rare occasion, some have been riveted to the interior skins. I just drilled them out with an 1/8" drill. Easy. Your top will probably be attached with screws from the inside. Get in there with a flash light and look.
Thanks for your reply. I do see some screws at angles towards the interior walls but that's it. Once I remove the drawer cabinet I'll remove the angle screws and see if I can remove that wooden shelf that the nightstand cabinet sits on.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Nearly all of the cabinet work in modern Airstreams use pocket screws, drilled at a sharp angle to secure corners. If you are intent on taking the top off, you'll have to access the screws from inside the outside front storage compartment. Why not just leave it all in place and access it from the outside compartment? Have a look at the parts manual, it shows the cabinet pieces. That area is preassembled and installed as a unit so it may be difficult to take apart.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Nearly all of the cabinet work in modern Airstreams use pocket screws, drilled at a sharp angle to secure corners. If you are intent on taking the top off, you'll have to access the screws from inside the outside front storage compartment. Why not just leave it all in place and access it from the outside compartment? Have a look at the parts manual, it shows the cabinet pieces. That area is preassembled and installed as a unit so it may be difficult to take apart.
Ahhh, That makes sense. I can do the cut out from the front and I then mount the electric box from the back. I'll post the outcome.....only if it works.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Can you get at it from underneath. My '89 twin bed night table was accessible from the driver's side compartment....given that I'm kind of on the smaller end of sizes...might not work for everyone. Of course that was a rear bedroom not FB
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

Portsmouth , Rhode Island
Battery Powered Nightlite?

That is a load of work to mount a night light. I know a small battery powered one will not look like a factory installation, but it might be a whole lot easier and one which you can remove when not in use.
Rotorhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Roges , Arkansas
Great Idea!

Quote:
That is some "Outside the Box" thinking. Should be so much easier. I would literally still inside (the box) looking for a better way.
That's why this forum is so good.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #12
"Silver Shrek"

2000 27' Safari
Crestwood , Kentucky
You have a light in the rear locker. You can drill through, push a new 12 volt wire through from your new light and pull power from your light in rear locker!
drairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
And just behind the light in the corner space is the 12VDC power main, the Inverter and generally a couple of unused 12V purple and white feed wires. With the mattress off there is an access cut out, you should be able to find spares if they exist on your model. Must be for options I don't have in my trailer.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
Quote:
And just behind the light in the corner space is the 12VDC power main, the Inverter and generally a couple of unused 12V purple and white feed wires. With the mattress off there is an access cut out, you should be able to find spares if they exist on your model. Must be for options I don't have in my trailer.
I pulled off the drawer cabinet and unscrewed all the available interior screws that were visible. I realized that some of the screws are accessed thru the front storage compartment. Unfortunately you can only feel them as they are covered with the cabinet fabric that is glued to the interior storage walls. BayouBiker I believe is correct that the cabinet is a built as a one piece unit. All this is because fixture requires an electrical box to mount to on the backside. I'll have to make the cut out with the interior cabinet in place and just cut the fabric in the storage compartment to attach the electric box.

Here's the link to the fixture I'm trying to install:
https://www.lumens.com/landscape-lig...ACP138098.html
Old 04-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
That's a fancy light! You could make a cutting jig from a piece of scrap plywood. should make it easier and safer to cut!

Good luck. Will look nice when done.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
The kicker is I should have had it done when I had the floor replaced but that would have taken thought DUH.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	365635   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	365636  

Old 04-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
If the light needs a box. Use an “old work box” and some Madison clamps to mount it. Go to the local HD and ask the electrician.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lakewood , Illinois
Quote:
That's a fancy light! You could make a cutting jig from a piece of scrap plywood. should make it easier and safer to cut!

Good luck. Will look nice when done.

Well it took a whole day and I'm so glad I took BayouBikers advise and built a jig. It served two purposes, first it taught me how to make the cut and do a practice install on the jig and also helped with an errant saw mistake on the actual cabinet. It's mounted to an electrical box in the front storage compartment. I attached an LED dimmer switch in the cabinet under the bed. I was nervous but am totally happy with the final result. Thanks to everyone for all the tips.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0723.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	366156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	475.7 KB
ID:	366158  

Old 04-23-2020, 05:21 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
Wow nice install. Airstream should really look at that and offer that night light on the twin models.
WBCCI #9026 Watchung NJ Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Great job! Nice work!

Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote