Old 03-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Continents Collide

1985 32' Excella
Spring , Texas
Queen bed frame

Question. This is the bedroom of our 1985 excella. We are going to be using a regular queen bed, not RV sized.

As you all know the width of the AS along the floor is different than from window to window. Do people have pictures of bedframes that they have made to fit the curve?

I can create more space on one side, the higher I place the mattress because of the curve but want to make sure I support it correctly as well. It would be awesome to have a sloped frame under the head, up the wall, to push the mattress as far away from the other wall as possible.

The head of the bed will go above the water heater as we actually have two doors on our model and don't want to have our heads against the door.

Since the picture was taken, the water heater has been wired correctly so don't factor that in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6370.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	437.7 KB
ID:	281042

continentsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I am in the home stretch of converting/updating a 2004 Classic 28 rear bedroom (east/west) to a twin bed set-up. Below are pictures of how I built the frames for the beds. I repurposed some of the wood and storage drawers from the queen bed set-up, where I could. Much of the frame under each bed is made from 1 by 3-inch poplar. It is light weight and strong. My water heater is partially under the foot of the bed (as is the new main electrical panel for a Magnum inverter/charger). The frame in front of the water heater is partially cantilevered with plywood (where you see the water filter mounted). All the frame is either attached to the plywood box for the storage drawer or has 1x3 supports attached to the floor. All the joints are glued and screwed together with cabinetry screws. I did not attach the frame to the aluminum wall as there was no need. The twin on the other side is much the same. The unit is all screwed to the floor and very solid. I will also be adding a bedside stand attached between the heads of twin beds (back of the trailer) which will add further support.

I decided not the hinge the top of either bed. The top is either attached with cabinetry screws where there is no storage below or it is held in place by two easily removed, threaded bolts (and the weight of the mattresses). This maximizes the access to the storage space underneath the beds (and there is a lot!). On the driver side, there is also an access door from the outside which you can see in the picture.

I donít think I added even 20 pounds to the weight of the trailer as compared to the queen bed set-up. Let me know if you have questions.

DaveP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TB1.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	281051   Click image for larger version

Name:	TB2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	281052