Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Pulling out a partition wall in a 59

Well I feel like I am making a post in about every forum since they are so specialized when it comes to the inside stuff. I didn't see anything that directly addressed this.

I am getting ready to pull the bath out of a 59 Caravanner to do some floor repair. The set up is a shower pan then a raised area where the comode is mounted ( seperate peices and not a preformed fiberglass like the newer models.). What is the best way to get this up without destroying it in the process.
Also some pointers on the partition walls. The walls have an aluminum track on the edges where they join the inside skin of the trailer. Does the wood just slide out of the track or do I need to drill out the rivits and keep the track with the partition wall I am removing?
Any tips to pulling it apart are welcome. I want to avoid damaging stuff as much as possible.
Thanks
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I can only comment on the partition walls on this one. The walls will slide out of the track without much trouble. Mine weren't glued but were pinched inside the track about every foot or so. Once the wall was out of the track, I used a flat end screwdriver inside the slot and give it a quarter turn to push the pinched part back to straight. Upon reassembly, I pinched em back together with some help from my wife.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 11:47 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Exclamation A word of caution

The floor tile in your '59 A/S contains asbestos, be sure to wear proper protective mask if you are going to disturb it, but do you really need to replace the entire floor or just the damaged area?
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: A word of caution

Quote:
Originally posted by Rog0525
The floor tile in your '59 A/S contains asbestos, be sure to wear proper protective mask if you are going to disturb it, but do you really need to replace the entire floor or just the damaged area?
Well The jury is still out on that one. I know I need to replace at least a 4x4 foot section under the bath. The floor in that area is bad enough that it rotted out the edge of the belly pan and the dump valve is jammed because the floor has dropped. I also need to replace some floor in the front. This camper was inherited from my Father-in-law and I know he has made some floor repairs as well. I have not even had it in my possestion for a week yet.
With pictures from others who have had to do major floor repairs I may have to cut out a lot more then expected just to get back to a point where I can attach to the frame. My thought on the ends is it would be best to replace from side to side to avoid peicing. The lack of joints will actually make a stronger repair and better suport the ends of the body. So I will proably replace the last and first four feet of the floor on both ends of the trailer to make the stongest repair.
I had hoped to have some time to remove the rear belly pan this weekend to make a better assesement and get a plan of action going. Weather is looking like it's going to be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up on the aspestos. I'll be sure to take the proper precautions. This is almost more reason to replace the whole floor in my eye. I have two children and makeing sure they can't come in contact with that stuff would be to their bennifit. Yeah in a house the typical deal is don't disterb it and cover it over but in a camper bouncing a 1000 miles down the road....It's going to get disturbed. There is also a good chance since my Father-in-law has done several floor repairs that most of it has already been removed.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ok I'm still lost on how to get these walls out.
The Shower/bath has the sliding door on it. It is suslended off a L shaped peice of wood that goes between the two walls that form the bath area. HOW THE HECK is that peice mounted? I don't see any screws, Rivits or fastners. Is there screw counter sunk under the track ? How about the floor peice around the shower pan? What order was that section installed? Just trying to figure out the order to remove with as little damage as possible.
Here is pictures of the same interrior as ours.

Any tips would be helpfull!
Thanks
Eric