Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #1

Fredericksburg , TX
Painting flying cloud walls and cabinets

We are looking at purchasing a used Flying Cloud. I absolutely hate the color of the cabinets and walls. I love the look of the new Globetrotters but cannot afford the price tag. Has anyone had experience painting their cabinets and walls? I was thinking of a white, similar to the London gray globetrotter. Please post pics if you have done this. I can’t seem to find any except for vintage models. Thanks in advance!
jilltabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:48 PM   #2
MsLaisy

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , California
Refinish Flying cloud sunlit maple cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilltabor View Post
We are looking at purchasing a used Flying Cloud. I absolutely hate the color of the cabinets and walls. I love the look of the new Globetrotters but cannot afford the price tag. Has anyone had experience painting their cabinets and walls? I was thinking of a white, similar to the London gray globetrotter. Please post pics if you have done this. I can’t seem to find any except for vintage models. Thanks in advance!
I totally agree with your take on the cabinets and walls! We bought a 2021 25ft RB and love it. I just don’t get the yellowish cabinets with the grey accents. The previous owner wallpapered a lot of the surfaces . I am torn between painting all
of it or, if the cabinets are indeed all wood, why not refinish them? I guess I will be a pioneer on this one unless someone else has any experience with changing g the sunlit maple interior?
LollyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:53 PM   #3

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
In the same boat with our 2016 FC rear twin. Would really like to see what’s been done or how to paint or cover the light tan surfaces.
Outthewazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:29 PM   #4
MsLaisy

2023 28' Flying Cloud
Oceanside , California
So, I changed the door and cabinet handles from the silver to black and put peel n stick vinyl wood plank floors in. That’s all! It makes a huge difference and now I like it! I would say if it an older model paint it, but if it’s a newer one try making other changes to blend the cabinets better!
LollyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LollyG View Post
So, I changed the door and cabinet handles from the silver to black and put peel n stick vinyl wood plank floors in. That’s all! It makes a huge difference and now I like it! I would say if it an older model paint it, but if it’s a newer one try making other changes to blend the cabinets better!
Sounds interesting! Can you post a photo? We are looking to change up the decor in out 2010 flying cloud.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilltabor View Post
We also purchased a used flying cloud last year and the whole trailer is pretty much two colors, silver and yellow/beige. I don’t mind the yellow beige in smaller doses, but this is too much. I also thought about painting the cabinets, but think it would be difficult to clean and not sure how well it would adhere to the laminate. So then I started to look into re-laminating some of the cabinets and that seems like much more of a process than I want to get into.

So did some more interneting and found these guys last night…
https://www.refacesupplies.com/

Haven’t looked into it too much, but looks like as long as your current laminate is in good shape, this product can just be placed over it. It seems to just be big rolls of peal and stick laminate that can be trimmed to fit.

I am not very original when it comes to decor and bad with colors so I prefer to find something I like and then try to copy it the best I can. So, I am looking to possibly use this peal and stick laminate on some of the cabinets to get a similar look to this Pottery Barn Edition decor. Seems to blend ok with the yellow beige and means I wouldn’t have to resurface all the cabinets throughout the trailer.

Anyone tried this kind of peal/stick and cut to fit laminate? Does this sound realistic or did I have a little too much wine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E245A108-A829-4F07-B106-3B70E3057AB4.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	416143   Click image for larger version

Name:	0381FD3B-B71E-45F6-9812-DF6B17B758EC.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	416144  

Name:	9F66AF25-56CC-4DE4-BE21-F4C9BE03579F.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	416145  
Old 05-17-2022, 12:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
We also purchased a used flying cloud last year and the whole trailer is pretty much two colors, silver and yellow/beige. I don’t mind the yellow beige in smaller doses, but this is too much. I also thought about painting the cabinets, but think it would be difficult to clean and not sure how well it would adhere to the laminate. So then I started to look into re-laminating some of the cabinets and that seems like much more of a process than I want to get into.

So did some more interneting and found these guys last night…

https://www.refacesupplies.com/

Haven’t looked into it too much, but looks like as long as your current laminate is in good shape, this product can just be placed over it. It seems to just be big rolls of peal and stick laminate that can be trimmed to fit.

I am not very original when it comes to decor and bad with colors so I prefer to find something I like and then try to copy it the best I can. So, I am looking to possibly use this peal and stick laminate on some of the cabinets to get a similar look to this Pottery Barn Edition decor. Seems to blend ok with the yellow beige and means I wouldn’t have to resurface all the cabinets throughout the trailer.

Anyone tried this kind of peal/stick and cut to fit laminate? Does this sound realistic or did I have a little too much wine?

I’ve used laminate and glue in the past to stick to wood with success. It can be a messy job and would need immediate clean up.

This peel and stick seems to be a nice find. My concern would be getting it to adhere to laminate and how would it hold up to the heat (when storing your AS).

Just reading through briefly I didn’t see laminate as one of the subsurfaces that it sticks to. They did mention if the surface was shiny you’d have to prime or paint it for better adhesion. But if you’re priming already it would be hard to resist the want to finish the job and paint it.

I like you am not a fan of the lovely yellowish walls that are in abundance in my unit FC’s. We were thinking of doing something similar to the cabinets or atleast an accent wall or 2. So this product may be the answer. But for now we’re addressing the countertops, upper cabinet doors and cushions first.

Please do share if you decide to move forward.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Tahoe Vista , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus View Post
This peel and stick seems to be a nice find. My concern would be getting it to adhere to laminate and how would it hold up to the heat (when storing your AS).

Just reading through briefly I didn’t see laminate as one of the subsurfaces that it sticks to. They did mention if the surface was shiny you’d have to prime or paint it for better adhesion.
Hmm, I looked thru the Qualifying A Reface Project link on their site and didn’t see anything there about glossy or shiny surfaces, but they definitely talk about refacing over previous laminate with plenty of pictures to show what to look for before deciding to reface or replace. Where did you see the mention of the shiny surfaces? I must have missed it.

Here is the page regarding qualifications…
https://www.refacesupplies.com/quali...e-project.html

That’s a good questioned about heat and holding up in storage. Luckily for me we live in a colder climate, so my concern would be cold temps in storage. Both are valid concerns and I am curious about the glossy/shiny surface of the current laminate.

I am going to be looking into this more and contacting them with questions and getting some samples. If I go forward it will not be until after summer as we have too many trips planned for down time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71382F2A-7095-4331-9820-26FB741BBD69.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	416181  
Old 05-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 23' International
Currently Looking...
Peachtree City , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Hmm, I looked thru the Qualifying A Reface Project link on their site and didn’t see anything there about glossy or shiny surfaces, but they definitely talk about refacing over previous laminate with plenty of pictures to show what to look for before deciding to reface or replace. Where did you see the mention of the shiny surfaces? I must have missed it.

Here is the page regarding qualifications…

https://www.refacesupplies.com/quali...e-project.html

That’s a good questioned about heat and holding up in storage. Luckily for me we live in a colder climate, so my concern would be cold temps in storage. Both are valid concerns and I am curious about the glossy/shiny surface of the current laminate.

I am going to be looking into this more and contacting them with questions and getting some samples. If I go forward it will not be until after summer as we have too many trips planned for down time.

I was reading under accent panels (what our product sticks to. I’ll post up a copy and paste. Reading it now I think they’re referring to a textured wall PLUS a high gloss. So that was my mistake. Definitely a good looking product. I didn’t see the thickness of the planks. I may order a few samples, definitely worth a look.

​“KOR utilizes our proprietary high tack adhesive and is a non standard sticking product. Natura utilizes a lower tack adhesive that is meant to reposition easier. Both brands of Accent Planks, however, come with an easy to apply peel and stick backer. Adhesive works on walls and substrates including drywall, paint, wood, and metal. One way to test adhesion is to simply order a sample and stick it yourself. The material will fully cure in 72 hours and has no smell or harmful ingredients. No roller is needed as you can simply press down the plank with your hands. If you have a textured wall plus a gloss or high sheen paint you may paint the walls flat or with a primer to improve the adhesion quality.”
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote