Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
Overhead cabinet Tambour re-install sequence

Hello All,

I have read all of the tambour threads but not seeing info on putting the tambour back in place. Tambour is in good shape & I like the functionality of it. I have removed the 3 overhead cabinets, painted the tambour and cabinets seperately and now putting the pieces back together. Initially when I removed the tambour I had planned on painting the cabinets in place (with tambour out), then putting it back in. I removed screws from the side channels and slid things around a bit and was able to bend it just enough so that I could slide it out of its track. I knew that this would not go back in this way very easily. So I decided to remove the cabinets so I would then have access to the backside as well. I am now trying to fit things back together without scratching things and its real tuff. Is there a sequence that eases this process? I could completely disassemble the cabinets but not really liking the idea of that. For those that have done this before, I need some help with this one.
bweldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
I found this link to be very helpful. For mine being that the overhead cabinets were removed I was able to take the top screw out of one upright bracket and move it to the side about an inch to help with getting the tambour and channels in place. Thanks Silvertwinkie!

Barry
Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Nixa , Missouri
Heres the link:

Repairing tambour doors