Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

OUCH! overhead cabinet door lumps

At 6foot 2inches, I am constantly hitting my head on the (opened) overhead doors over the gally sink in our 2002 classic 31'. There is ceiling clearance with the door open. Has anyone adjusted the door lifters to increase the height of the opened cabinet doors?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
Baldeagle,

I'd like to know the same thing. Not because I bump my head, but because I can't see the radio dials. I'm 6'4" and wear bifocal glasses. I can't read the radio unless I'm kneeling on the couch and tilting my head way back. My daughter laughs every time and says I look like I'm praying to the radio gods.

Sigh

Mark
Old 01-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Welcome to the club, guys. I'm 6'5" and Airstreams just weren't built for us 'regular' sized people!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There are two fixes, for those that hit their head either on components mounted on the ceiling, or on the top of the entrance door jamb.

The first, is the most expensive. The entire shell is raised, and a special size entrance door is created.

The second, but I understand, is rather messy and hurts. You get a chain saw, and cut the person legs down to size.

The second is not very practical, but as we all know, some people will go to any extreme, to save a buck.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoandall
Baldeagle,

I'd like to know the same thing. Not because I bump my head, but because I can't see the radio dials. I'm 6'4" and wear bifocal glasses. I can't read the radio unless I'm kneeling on the couch and tilting my head way back. My daughter laughs every time and says I look like I'm praying to the radio gods.

Sigh

Mark
OOO!! OOOO!!!! I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THIS ONE!!!

My dad got special bi-focals that have the near-vision area on the bottom, like traditional ones...but they also have another area of near-vision rx along the very top edge of the lense. Perfect for doing any sort of close-up work other than reading. The center of the lense is for distance vision.

He thinks they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. great for people that do any sort of hands-on work. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about this sort of thing myself, as I'm just a kid, much too young to need reading glasses of any sort.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:16 PM   #6
_

. , .
the famous american architect, frank lloyd wright, was known for building his custom houses with very low ceilings and door ways. he also liked lots of horizontal flowing lines.

a small man himself, when he was asked about these low overhead issues he said something about it being.....

'a message that tall people had no business being indoors and that they were better suited to living outside....'

was wally a student of frank's work?

cheers
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote