Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2003, 10:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question ? On Replacing Cabinets

Because of the shape of the Airstream, I was wondering where some of you have gone to have the cabinets replaced? The trailer (excuse me), the Airstream we are looking at is a 70's model with the white tambour doors. I would like to replace them (if possible) with all wood cabinets.

Can any reputable RV restoration place do this, or should we go to an Airstream "exclusive" restoration place?
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
You could do about anything you wanted as far as installing cabinets. It just depends upon your tastes and ultimate goal of use for your A/S. The original cabinets are much lighter than anything prefab or custom built so you may want to think about the weight penalties, which gets back to your mode of use. Regular residential style cabinet construction is not totally conducive (sp) to installations in A/S's, wall profiles, plumbing, furnaces, water heaters, etc will all get in the way and cause conflict. If the tambour is all that bothers you I would look into the possibilities of having it replaced, it is a common problem with most all 70's models. I have learned to live with mine, I have pulled apart an interior before and would rather not get involved in another one if at all possible.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There is an unfortunate tendency to look at the construction of the older Airstream cabinets and call it "cheap". What they are is "light". Building cabinets that are light, yet will hold their appearance, or even hold together, is much more difficult than one might think. As Chas noted, almost anything you build or buy will be heavier - much heavier if you do not plan for weight savings.

The only practical way to keep the weight under control is to simply reconstruct what is there using the existing aluminum brackets and guides, and new materials of the same thickness and type as original.

For new cabinetry, almost any competent cabinet maker can build what you want.

See my photos link (below) for cabinets I have built. the bedroom credenza is an entirely new piece of construction, while the kitchen cabinet is more of a reconstruction, plus a new counter top.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote