Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Lancaster , Massachusetts
Newbie question that may already be covered here

Love my Airstream and really want to retain her original look and style but want to check and repair floor if necessary and replace old insulation. If I remove the inner walls, is it possible to reinstall once floor and insulation is replaced? If so, is it pretty straight forward to do it or should I not even attempt?

Thank you.

feefeecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Knoxville , TN
First you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best. By worst I mean more money, more time, and more fun. I am working on a 26' Argosy right know and my experience is that taking the interior out in a manner that will allow you to put it back in like it was will take about 20 to 30 hours of labor. Taking the floor out is about another 15 to 20 hours. Of course bigger camper will be more time and smaller camper less. As long as you take your time and really look at each piece to see how and were it is attached you should be able to put it back in will little issue. Keeping every thing organized in having a place to put it so it doesn't get damage while it is out is also important. Also Airstream put the interiors in starting in the back so you will want to take it out in reverse starting in the front to help find blind rivets and screws.
Most of the work to remove every thing can be accomplished with a drill and and a couple of screw drivers. You will of course need more tools to get everything out:
pliers
Drimmel tool with a bunch of cut off wheels
razor knife
putty knife
hammer
center punch
1/8 inch punch or small nail (some pop rivets will require you to drive the shaft out before you can drill the head off)
couple of adjustable wrenches
copper pipe cuter (or hack saw)
Vise Grips
1/8" drill bits (10 or more)
5/32 drill bits (4 or so)
Eric 26 Argo is offline   Reply With Quote