Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
New Workstation/Countertop in our Serenity

We've recently purchased a new to us 2012 28' Serenity model and made a few changes.... I've spent some time researching exactly how to do this and finally, with the help of the hubby and our fab renovation team at Avalon RV, we made some mods that have turned out to not only look beautiful but function perfectly for us!

We took out the dinette and had a custom counter/workstation put in -- at the wheel well end, we have a huge two shelf cabinet that houses all of the larger items such as coffee pot/toaster/paper towel holder, etc. This is by far more space than we had in the two tiny cabinets under the dinette benches. The counter top works for dining, food prep, working on laptops, space to lay the iPad while watching HULU (before we had to balance it on the back of the dinette bench..not so safe for the iPad It's about 4' wide and narrows down to about 2'.

The laminate came from Lab Design Laminate .. excellent quality and great patterns... The chairs you see are loaners .. our terracotta fiberglass Eames chairs didn't come in before our trip...I've attached a pic of those as well.

We also replaced the small lights over the sofa to something we think works better with the mid century modern vibe we have going on in the trailer and we had shelves put in a lot of the cabinets -- those are all laminated with the dark brown laminate like the cabinet under the workstation is... we just went to Alumafandango and the trailer functions really well for us...and most importantly....looks super cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Workstation done.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	193178   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights new.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	193179  

Name:	DowelSideSwivelTerracotta-WalnutZinc.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	193180  

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

Maggie
Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Really nice job. The Eames chairs will go great with your design. They remind me of the fiberglass chairs I spent my childhood sitting in during school, but much nicer!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Looks great! I love the Lab Design Laminates, far and away the best laminates out there ( almost as much as I luv Hulu).
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Thanks everyone!

Here are a couple of pics of the cabinet too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1143875565.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	193208   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1517908105.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	193213  

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
This looks great and very functional. I bet it provides more walking around space than with the dinette too. We have a 2004 28 classic, and one of its best features ( for us anyway) is that it didn't come with a space hogging dinette. You mention an RV shop? Did they fabricate the new pieces for you?
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Thanks Ntex -- it gives us so much more room -- really opened the space up and now we can also store things under the counter space too! We have a local renovation guy who specializes in vintage trailers...mainly Airstreams...do almost all our work for us -- Avalon RV in Benecia, cA -- his team fabricated everything for this project from scratch..... I came up with the concept and materials - they drew it out and once we agreed on the design, they ordered the materials, built and installed it... there's also another little twist on that cabinet but I have to crawl under the counter to take a pic .. my hubby had a special shelf that's open (with a lip so it doesn't fall out) for his Dish receiver -- it's open under the counter so you can get to it when you need to but it's not out in the open or taking up other valuable space...me...personally...I prefer the tablet and Hulu

Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Suzzeee, I love the new workspace, looks like they did a great job. I also really like the little light, where did you get it?

-J
jpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Thanks jpons. I got those lights from a yacht lighting website -- IMTRA (Imtra Marine Products - Marine Systems and Solutions) - the light is the St. Maarten -- it comes in blue and white as well. The globe part is glass and the rest is metal - they also sell the led bulbs for them if you want to use LED. They have some other cool lights too -- I found some great 12v lights on yacht sites.