Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
New layout and idea

I'm happily working away on the new layout for my Overlander and came across a product that I thought might prove quite useful. It's an aluminum extrusion in a T slot format with nifty little connectors etc. I was wondering if I could use the 1 inch or 20 mm version for framing in the bathroom or kitchen cabinets. There's no way I can see to use it for anything curved but it will accept curved panels to make the bathroom walls. Any how I wanted to ask if anyone had ever used the stuff or had an opinion regarding weight or something. 80/20 Outside of the Box Solutions

I like the idea that it is easy to assemble/ disassemble/ repair plus it's moisture stable.

My current layout is a little sketchy but Im still playing around. (The wheel wells make getting a queen bed with a decent sized shower pan tricky).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roughlayout.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	73857  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Truck,

The T-Slot looks sleek, and I suspect that it will work great for your application. We're getting ready for a full monte, so keep us posted if you proceed with it.

It looks like you'll have a ton of counter space based on your drawing. That should make the SO happy. .

Looks dang good. May hire you out for design services...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
A very forward thinking idea - keep us informed. Thanks
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
If I might ask, what did you use to do the design (software)? Can you talk a little bit about your thought process behind the design decisions. Thanks.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I used SketchUp, it's a free and reasonably intuitive.

I started the design process by listing what I considered important features or functions, then identifying key hurdles and my intended usage.

For example I want the exterior to remain as clean as possible so no roof mounted AC and if I can minimize vents and hatches that will be a bonus.

I want to use the trailer in State parks and boon-docking so no low slung tanks but I also want good capacities and simple tank emptying I want safe consistent handling so great weight distribution.

I need it to accommodate 2 people right now, but maybe more some day. I want a queen sized bed, an open feel and roomy walkways. I'm happy to fold clothes and place them in drawers rather than create hanging closets.

I don't camp yet but I know that a tiny shower isn't going to work for me so a good sized bathroom is a must. This was a difficult decision to deal with as I am now compromising the unobstructed view through the unit whilst towing.

I need some food preparation and storage space but am more likely to purchase ingredients as I go rather than hauling large quantities of stuff.

I am keen to utilize what I see as better materials and technology even if the upfront cost is slightly higher, for example I like the Vacuflush systems and the Preciontemp water heater. I also acknowledge that accidents do happen so if I can use modular components and stock products I can make my life easier down the road.

The wheel arches are a huge consideration on the layout for this unit. As are the windows. I looked into and laid out many options including front bedroom and bathroom plans but the one I posted above seems most rational for my needs.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cicero , Indiana
Ive used it

I am an automation engineer and we use this stuff all the time to build structure or guarding for machines. This stuff is very strong and a breeze to put together. Once you have things locked down good and tight its virtually indestructible (unless you hit it with a fork lift). I haven't used it in a while, but If I remember correctly you can get this stuff in a regular version or a light version. I would definitely go with the light version for the weight concerns. We used a lot of the "regular" 2x3 and 3x3 and it gets pretty heavy once you start piecing things together. The "light" version 1x1 shouldn't get too heavy as long as you are not getting carried away with it. When we used to buy it, I thought it was a bit too expensive for non-industrial applications. To give you an idea of how expensive, they price the extrusion by the INCH! 1x1 may not be too bad but I know the 3x3 gets pretty salty.
grakkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Hi grakkin, thanks for the feedback. I'd definitely be using the 1 inch stuff or even the metric option, (25 mm is priced by the mm! ). At 21 cents an inch it mounts up fast but I suspect that the fasteners will be at least as much again.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I don't know much about the Vacuflush system, but it looks interesting. The shower definity seems roomy. If you have a scale drawing, please post it. I'm curious about the dimensions. I love the idea of a queen bed, but I was little unsure it would fit in the rear. My wife thought the burners would work better located farther forward. We prefer a couch to a dinette. All in all, though, I think you've come up with something that is similar to what might work for us. Thanks for adding the thoughts and let us know how the 80/20 aluminum stuff works.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Your layout looks great. Please keep us updated on your plans & progress.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Colorado Springs , CO
Nice

I agree that the layout looks good. Is the top of the Vacuflush system going to double as counter space as well? I can't get an idea of it's dimensions. Nevertheless, as you come into the door, having that a counter there on the left instead of a wall will lend a more open feel to the space. I like it.

I used the same Sketch-up program. It's free from Google, just download it. Easy to use and a lot of fun too.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Craig, I'm not sure that it'll help much but here is a different view of the Vacuflush location, just in front of the door side wheel arch. I think I'll be able shoe horn in a 36" wide drawer over it; plumbing straight out of the WC and into the tank and a counter above the drawer.

There are quite a few combinations of Vacuflush systems on offer but this space allows for the 18 Gallon unit, which at about a pint a flush seems doable. I also liked this model as it is a complete package.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream number 1.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	74784  
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Is the Vacuflush ahead of the wheel wells? I've been playing with designs and I've found it hard to get a queen bed to fit in the rear area without cramping the bathroom... and I've found the wheel wells a challenge. I think I'll pull the old plastic wheel well cover and fabricate something a bit stronger out of aluminum. Since they be covered, it should allow me to improve my sheet metal skills and then hide my mistakes.

I'm going to have to research the vacuflush system. It sounds good, but it it worth space?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Nice thread, keep the infromation coming.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
A lot of things will be tight, with the queen bed and shower tray squeezed behind the wheel well there isn't much room spare. But I'd rather trim the bed by an inch or two rather than go with a double and space. Here's another shot labelled a bit to show the Vacuum system better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream number 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	74797  
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Cool stuff truckasaurus, I was hoping you'd resurface after your transcontinental recovery. Don't know if you'd heard, but I too found one, a '63 Olander that used to belong to Terry aka Overlander63.

Good luck, keep the ideas coming, it's fun to watch!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I really can't wait to turn some of my ideas into something tangible. If I had managed to build a shop in time I would have been working over the winter but as it stands it's likely to be April or May before I can drill out a single rivet. I like your blog too, excellent pictures.