Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Need Pics of 1971 Sovereign Gaucho Parts

We just brought "Oscar" (1971 twin bed Sovereign) home, but seem to be missing a key part of the gaucho. It appears that, when in the upright position, the back/rounded panel should attach to a channel or some other bracket on the wall that we don't have. We're hoping someone can take a snapshot of the gaucho in both the down and upright positions so we can see exactly what we're missing. Can anyone help us with some pics?

Thanks in advance for the help!
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our gaucho back merely rests against a shelf mounted on the front wall, just below the front window.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Thats what it looks like must be missing from ours...that shelf...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Our shelf only sticks out about 7 inches in the middle I would take some pics, but it is out of the trailer along with everything else at the moment...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here's a pic from Vintage Airstream showing the back cushion off. You can see the curved filler cushion and the shelf the the back rests against.

1972Sovereign5
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Do you really have a Gaucho in your Airstream?

A Gaucho can refer to:
  • Gaucho (Gaúcho in Portuguese, Cowboy in English), a word for a South American cattle herder.
Now depending on your gender and marital status this might be a welcome find, of course I would prefer a Goucha or Cowgirl, but neither was found in my Airstream.
I do keep looking though!

• Gauchos are a style of very flowing and loose fitting, flared pants with an elastic waistband, commonly worm by young dancers, but also worn casually.
Again, a young female dancer would have been a nice find. And while some old loose fitting garments were left behind by the previous owners, I think they fell into the category of bloomers.

There was an Ammonia aroma one night, but that turned out to be the refrigerator failing. I did find some cleaners under the sink like
Ajax and bleach, but thankfully no Gaucho.
  • Gaucho, an album by Steely Dan.
While I like Steely Dan, I'm not familiar with this particular album. It has not turned up in the rig.
Clearly this would be pushing the GVW of my 28 foot Excella.
Just the mention of finding a sports team squatting in your Airstream, would undoubtedly, start the Airstream forum on a heated and passionate debate on axle replacement, loading and pre-loading, drum brakes vs disk, beefed up frames, tire pressure, and the 70's.
Of course an astute owner, just by looking at the angle of the torsion suspension, would know that a sports team was lurking in the coach.
Therefore, even if the University of California, Santa Barbara, Gauchos sports team were living in my 28 foot Excella, I'd PM someone first.

GMC Gaucho a mid 70's full-sized van model produced by General Motors
Nope, no 70's full size van was found in or around my rig.
No Portuguese speaking natives of Rio Grande do Sul, popped out of the under bed bins.

No football players fumbled with the wheel chocks.

Renato or Ronaldinho Gaucho were not found, but a VCR tape of "Nothing but trouble" staring Chevy Chase was discovered wedged between the empty space next to the water heater.

Now, despite my best efforts, A Gaucho has not shown up in my Airstream? What I have found is a sofa that folds out into a bed, and after sleeping on it for one night I did wake up a little Gracho?

Michael

Definitions courtesy of Wikipedia

Michael is a fulltime "Artist at Large" living, working and traveling out of his 1995 28 ft. Excella.
MICHAEL JOSEPH DEPRAIDA, An artist at large
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Here's a pic from Vintage Airstream showing the back cushion off. You can see the curved filler cushion and the shelf the the back rests against.

1972Sovereign5
So then when the gaucho is laid down, what supports the curved cushion under it? I need to run outside and look, but it might be possible that someone removed the shelf and attached it straight to the gaucho (!!!)
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Most of the curved cushions are stapled to a board or if it has a zipper, it is inside. The back cushion on the couch/gaucho, also has a board that is tucked inside. This helps to keep it straight when it is in the couch position and leans against the small shelf, and support when it is in the bed position. I have pictures somewhere, I will see if i can find them.
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
picture of board inside cushion

hope this helps If not, let me know and I will take pictures of the one we have now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banana piece.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	68682   Click image for larger version

Name:	board inside back cushion1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	68683  

Click image for larger version

Name:	board inside gaucho2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	68684  
Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
We think we see how thats put together....it looks like the shelf was screwed/hinged to the upright padded piece...UGH...now to see how the shelf was attached to the inside wall!
Old 10-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
The shelf was attached with 2 L brackets, at least in ours. I can take some pictures if you need some of the one in the Tradewind. We had problems with it when trying to sleep in our last AS so my husband put piano hinges on it so we could fold it down and out of the way when it was a bed.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There is an exploded diagram in the service manual, but they call the gaucho a "travel lounge assembly" The first service manual was 1972, but the differences for 71 are nil. Once in a while you can find an original copy on ebay. Photocopies are available from Secretarial Services in Ohio (don't have their address) or on ebay. You know someone is serious about their AS when the service manual is coffee table reading. Send me your address or fax# and I will send you a copy of the diagram.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
WOW..thanks for all the info guys (and gals!) I was thinking about getting the 72 manual in the near future...If you could send me a diagram of how that piece is attached, that would be great! (feel free to email it here jskb2000@wildblue.net )
Old 10-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is an exploded diagram in the service manual, but they call the gaucho a "travel lounge assembly" The first service manual was 1972, but the differences for 71 are nil. Once in a while you can find an original copy on ebay. Photocopies are available from Secretarial Services in Ohio (don't have their address) or on ebay. You know someone is serious about their AS when the service manual is coffee table reading. Send me your address or fax# and I will send you a copy of the diagram.
High quality reprints of the most of the Service Manuals and many of the available Owner's Manuals are available from the Airstream Store.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote