Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Missing panel by refrigerator

I'm in the process of restoring my '67 Overlander. The interior is original and complete except I am missing the refrigerator and the cabinet panel next to the fridge by the door. The panel I'm talking about is the top left picture of this beautifully restored Overlander.

Does anyone know where I can find a panel like this?

Does anyone have a pattern that I can use to make one?

Thank you!
mikextr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A photo might help
Old 05-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Something familiar about that pic

What adorable children you have!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Mikextr:

I'm guessing the panel you are writing about is the floor to ceiling one with the curved cut out.

My '67 - 22 foot Safari (your trlr looks longer) has the panel that looks like yours except mine is on the street (opposite) side from yours. My Refrigerator quit working 30 years ago and all replacement refers were 3/4" wider than the original refer. My panel was only 3/16" plywood and screwed into the refrigerator. It was necessary to move the panel to accommodate a newer refrigerator.

I chose to make a new panel of 3/4" plywood but I was able to use the old one as a pattern. Because by moving the panel by less than an inch requires a slightly different shape I had to scribe it to fit the wall. I doubt that my pattern would help you much. The trailer's rounded interior shape also changes as you move fore & aft. Because the panel now stands on its own and is not screwed into the refer, I can slide the refer in and out at will. You've got to bolt it down though.

You probably should design your own pattern because you know how high your counter top is how wide your new refrigerator is and how far down the overhead cabinet measures and what you want it to look like when finished.

Your photos show you have done a good job so far. This shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

Keep up the good work!
helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Hey Tom! Aren't they just the cutest kids ever? Hope you don't mind. That was the only picture of the panel I could find. Thank you for documenting and sharing the restoration of your trailer. It's been a tremendous resource for me. I'm just getting starting on my 67 Overlander. So far I have put new tires on it and spent 2 days hauling out junk and cleaning. Now the real work begins. Wish I had the small children to go with it. Instead, Im stuck with 2 surley teenagers.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
Thanks for your help, Helmsman. I think I'll take your advice and just make my own pattern. Should be able to get pretty close to the original. As for the trailer in the pics, TomW deserves all the credit. That's the inside of his restored trailer. I borrowed a picture from his website to show an example of the panel I need. I'll get some pics of mine up later.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a 67 Tradewind with the same fridge set up. The cutout is 17.5" high and 12" deep. The top cut on the inside of the bulkhead next to the hallway follows the angle of the overhead locker. The bottom inside hallway cut is vertical.

I could make a paper template but would need you to cover the costs of a roll of paper, a shipping tube and postage. I would be glad to send you other measurements and detailed photos. I think you could figure out your own template.

The critical cut would be where the bulkhead meets the inside wall. You could make your own cardboard template for this and then transfer to sheet of inexpensive luan and make a temporary bulkhead to get the fit right. Then transfer to your good plywood.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
... Hope you don't mind... Wish I had the small children to go with it. Instead, I'm stuck with 2 surley teenagers.
Not a problem with you using the pic.

By the way, the young fella watching TV is now almost six feet tall, and will be a sophomore in high school next school year.

Time flies when you have an Airstream.

Tom
Old 06-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
He's the same age as my son. My daughter's going into 7th grade.

I enjoyed your story about installing the Traveler Lite toilet and how your son discovered the old one the next morning. Is the Taveler Lite taller than the old Auquamagic? I noticed in the pics that you removed the bench seat that connects to the shower and goes over the toilet. Mine is in good condition and I would like to keep it.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Yes, the Traveller Lite is taller than the old toilet. I still have the bench seat, and would have used it if would have worked.

BTW, I heard they quit making the Traveller Lite.

Tom