Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Is there a fix for a roll away (tambour) door on 76 Sovereign

On my Sovereign there are several sliding door assemblies that run into and wind up in plastic tracks. All work good but one which is under sink.
This one even though it is guided into the wind up track does not want to wind up at all.
Is there a fix for this or a replacement door panel available?
Is such available from AS or after market sources?
Was thinking if nothing else putting cabinet doors on it like conventional cabinets with locking system.

Thanks much.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
The tambour doors can be temperamental at best. The long one, down low, under the sink catches a lot of dirt from above and below. One of mine is missing and the other is broken.
The best advice I can give is to clean the tracks as best you can with Windex and a Q-Tip swab. This seems to have helped the most.
I believe some have recommended spraying the spirals with silicone spray. My concern with this measure is that you don’t know what the propellant and vehicle are in the spray and there is no way to tell what effect it will have on 30 year old plastic. The last thing you want is a softened, or brittle and broken track.
Additionally some people have cut the tambour into 2 shorter pieces. This lessens the effort opening and closing the door.

Good luck,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Definitely not a durable design configuration on it. I asked question on another forum and one guy had a pretty ingenious fix. His door was broken into three pieces so he flexed it and got it out of the track and cleaned the scroll tracks.
Next he laid it out flat and sanded inside surface and applied sail cloth repair tape he got at West Marine.
Finally he took a piece of bed sheet and applied wood glue on the inside vertical surfaces the length of the door but 2" narrower than the height and clamped it up with a piece of plastic over the cloth and lastly lubed track with dry teflon lube.

You are right, some lubricants will attack the plastic so this will have to be researched.

After considering that I think I will do the same thing except not use a bed sheet for the flex membrane but a piece of rip stop nylon or a piece of nylon sail cloth on the inside.
I was wondering about how to clamp it all up to make sure the glue would be in contact with the cloth and have decided I will place on shop floor and lower an outrigger from my backhoe down on it.

Additionally I will coat the tip ends with 2 Ton Devcon epoxy cement to restore the worn areas and harden up the wear areas.

His door scroll area had lot so dirt. I will take a long air rod hook to my compressor and direct 90 lbs into the track and try and see if anything significant blows out but it feels like membrane separation problem as well.
Will know more when I get it off.

Thanks much for response. Maybe someone else will see it and give us their fix ! ! ! !
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote