Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Interior rivets popped near door

Hypothesis: (aka, wild ass guess)
I have two rivets near the hinge side of the door which periodically shear off... and my 2012 25 FB Eddie Bauer has been moved only twice in almost a year. It suddenly occurred to me that the overhead cabinet might be the culprit causing this problem.
If you think back to older Airstreams, the upper cabinets had a partial wall (curved more like a brace ) providing some bracing to hold up the overhead cabinets. The pantry wall helps hold up one end of the cabinet. The end closest to the door FLOATS. One would expect a rib to support the door hinges, and one to carry the load of the cabinet. The two rivets do go into a rib about 2 inches beyond the edge of the upper cabinet. Is the cabinet itself connected to anything other than inner skin? Perhaps a horizontal rib?
I installed a handicap bar in the shower after a near slip, and looked at the exit door and said Hmm? After some cogitation, I rejected the 1970's turned wood room divider concept, but thought perhaps a brushed nickel table leg running between the cabinet bottom and the lower cabinet's countertop might brace up the upper cabinet, and act as a helper handle going in and out the door. It could be drilled into the countertop, then the adjustable screw down foot tightened up to the bottom of the upper cabinet.
I have heard of a few of these upper cabinets falling... anyone here get into the wall in this area? Am I barking up the wrong tree, or possibly on the right track?
Paula
Old 09-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Bump
Old 09-07-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
I’m not familiar with the newer Airstream headlockers (past 1970). But when I installed the ones in both our trailers, I attached the F-channel with rivets into the skin. The upper framing was also riveted to the skin. Where the sides of the headlocker slid into the F-channel I also either used rivet thru the side of the channel or short SS sheet metal screws. Sounds like you have some torquing going on. Like I said, don’t know about the new ones. And you probably know to go back with a size larger pop rivet. Probably clear as mud. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote