Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
couch to dinette

Minkus, hit this site. Shows a couch to dinette conversion step by step. I don't know if this link works, you may have to type it in yourself.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 07:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

try again

try again http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/index.html

Old 02-13-2004, 07:26 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I'm thinking of building a dinette

Greetings Stephanie!

As was mentioned in one of the earlier posts, an option would be to have a free-standing dining table with Leg-O-Matic chairs. There is a precedent for this as that is exactly what Airstream coaches from earlier in the 1960s had - - I believe that 1965 may have been the last year for the free-standing table. The table below is from my Overlander (Fowler Interiors restored it replacing the damaged Formica top with a solid oak top):

The table folded is shown in this shot:

I posted photos the reproductions of the original Leg-o-Matic chairs in the thread below:

Leg-O-Matic Chairs

The table rides on the front lounge when traveling - - there are hooks on the back sides of the drop-leaves that allow the leaves to be tethered together for travel. The Leg-O-Matic chairs fold and travel in the bottom of the rear wardrobe.

Good luck with your decision/project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Neat-o table! The new oak top is beautiful! I looked up some leg-o-matic chairs on the web. Neat concept.

I'm still thinking about my dinette-for-two idea. My hubby disapproves, as he loves the Caravel just the way it is, pulling the bed out every night and everything. We might just use it for another summer in it's original configuration until I can convince him to let me experiment. That or I can see the need for a new floor covering coming up in the future, and while the gaucho is out for that project (while the ugly old vinyl comes up) would be a good time to experiment.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks Tin Hut ~

Quote:
Shows a couch to dinette conversion step by step.... http://www.insideout-design.net/maxwell/index.html
Actually this link will take you right to the Dinette section: Front Gaucho-to-Dinette

I also have some photos on AirstreamPhotos...you can use the "photos" link below

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

dinette

Minkus, when we first got our '67 I thought about a dinette as well but then realized I didn't have time for another project. I've come to appreciate the gaucho more now. With four of us and a big dog in the trailer it's nice to have that open area to move around in. We carry two fold up wooden slat chairs that match the trailer with us and when the table is up we use them as well as the couch. Also gives us extra seats for outside in a pinch. I've noticed we tend to eat outside on the picnic tables if available and usually only pull the table out for board games at night.

Old 02-14-2004, 07:08 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Tin, I think the key is 4 people and a dog vs. 2 only. Like you said, the need for another project is always questionable, but, what the heck.

Speaking of projects, your trailer looked finished, but weren't you just asking about floor repair? What gives? I would hate to have those pin-ups disturbed for something like floor rot.

And speaking of rot, I have to start my floor, and was wondering if there is any value to taking out the pocket door in addition to the bath?
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

floor rot

Back in my battey compartment I was pressing down on the plywood feeling proud about not having the floor rot problems I hear about and then my finger went right thru. I've got to figure out the extent of it and get it fixed. Don't want the battery to fall out next. Oh ya, since you've got a '67 as well, make sure your access doors are always on tight. I lost one already. I ordered a replacement from Inland RV and have been waiting several months for it and they're not cheap. I may try to hinge them or something.

Old 02-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was browsing the vintage photo archive and found this pic of the interior of a 77 Globetrotter with a side dinette built for two! It's exactly what I was thinking of building, right down to the limited footroom underneath because of what I assume is the wheelwell (it would be in my trailer). Anyway, just thought I'd include the picture here, just in case I can't find it again later. Maybe someday I'll talk my hubby into letting me make some changes, then I'll get to build one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77globe.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	4842  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Dinette

Stephanie,

I say go for it. Lord knows you are capable of doing it if anyone could.

If you aren't happy with it and want to change it in the future, you can do that.

Hope you post pictures when you're through. We want to do the same thing in our Tradewind.

Lots of luck

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx.
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote