Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Acworth , Georgia
How do I remove interior cabinets and walls

How do I remove interior cabinets and walls? I want to remove to redo floor and restore wood.

The front sofa/bed was screwed into floor and sides.

What about rest of interior?

Thanks
PhilMateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Phil:

I just did that. I have a 74 tradewind that had dark panels, wierd carpet and orange counter ??. I think that LSD did more damage in the sixties than most of us believed at the time. Ya know what I mean ?

I have replaced all the panels with maple and applied a natural finish. It's nice having all new panels. All my cabinets and panels were screwed to the walls and floor.

Some of the panels were screwed to the cabinets or the counter tops. Its all screwed togather though.

One thing I had to do that you may not is this- Some of my doors (pocket door to bath, kitchen cabinet etc.) were high pressure laminate over a honey comb center. I heated the laminate and it peeled off then I reapplied the maple HPL to spec.

The only other thing that needed to be altered from the original was - It had this dreadful burnt orange/limegreen carpet that I have replaced with black pastel speckled linoleum. I am inlaying the floor with some cool designs. The flooring is 1/8th inch thick.

When I made the panels and before reinstalling them I trimmed 1/8 inch off the bottoms to allow them to go right back into the same slots using the same holes in the side walls.

Some of the panel assemblies I took apart (like the one dividing the rear bath) had rivets holding extruded aluminum channel to plywood but as far as the cabinets and panels themselves I removed them all with a screw driver or drill/screw gun. Now that's with a 74 tradewind, an earlier unit might be different but probably not.

Questions ?

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Exclamation Hidden screws

Happy Holidays.
Jim has covered the major points in the removal of the interior furnishings. The one thing I found with the work I've done on mine is that there are dozens of screws in places you would never think. Some from the factory and some from a PO.
The worst were the screws going through a bracket between the counter top and the fridge vent.
Pull the cabinets out slowly, bet you find a hidden screw you can't get to binding things up.
Just an aside, I was surprised to find that the wood in the GT was ash. Looks kind of like oak but a much lighter color. Went through a lot of pricey lumber rebuilding benches and tables after the PO had converted the coach into a rolling office of sorts.
Good luck, Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote