Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Hole in tub '76 Sovereign

Something heavy was dropped in our rear bath shower tub and put a hole through it. Probably 3"x7," is it possible to repair it with fiberglass?
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Your tub is made of ABS and likely will be hard to repair. You might try glassing the entire tub with several layers (that is what I am about to do, with little optimism).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I would think so. May take a few layers to give you enough to sand smooth and retain strength.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The outer wheel wells on 70's trailers are also made of ABS. It is not unusual, during a full rennovation, to discover that the wells have been mushed down toward the wheel, and then worn through by contact with the wheel. This is the condition I found mine in. I found several Forums members who recommended repairing them with fiberglass (as replacement parts are only available as a custom fabrication) so I gave it a shot. I followed all the best practices (ie., roughing up the plastic with coarse sandpaper, making absolutely sure the surfaces were degreased, etc.), but found that not long after completing my patch, the fiberglass layer could be seen delaminating from the wells. The wheel wells are very thin and flexible material, and I figure that aggravates the situation.

I am hoping to repair my shower pan by fully encapsulating the old plastic with several layers of fiberglass, but so far, I don't have a lot of faith. I had a recommendation that I drill holes all over in the shower pan to give the plasic a little more "tooth" for the fiberglass to adhere to, and to use epoxy rather than the normal fiberglass resin, but I am still mulling it over.

good luck!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have a small crack in an upper edge of the shower. I am going to try grinding up some ABS pipe, mix with acetone and trowel it into the crack. If that doesn't work will use the ABS shavings in ABS pipe glue. I will first clean the area with ABS pipe primer. And will follow up with a full repaint with one of the bathtub restore products. Much better chance of it sticking to the ABS tub than fiberglass.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
we have a local tv add about a company out of Wichita who lazer measures your old bath tub and forms a new one that just sits over the top of your old one.. Have not seen any finished jobs but it came to mind for our 72 Overlander with a stained tub.

FYI,. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
I repaired a semi-circle crack near the drain on my tub with Marine-Tex and fiberglass cloth on the underside, prior to painting the tub. Easy to work and seems much more stable than the tub itself. I reinforced the area around the drain opening, and sanded it flat to accept the new drain. Very pleased with results. I'm not sure how using this product from the tub surface side will work, but if you can get to the backside for support, you should be okay.

Good luck,
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
Im a bodyman and the new cars have a lot of abs parts and panels on them the auto body paint supply houses called panel bond you need a pice of the same type panel that is craked clean both sides by grinding and cleaning with thinner mix up enought epoxy panel bond and place the patch ocer the crack hope from the back side if not try getting the broken pices close togather and put a small coat then sand and apply final coat it will last.
Davidlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hole in tub '76 Sovereign

SMC resin is much better than the regular old polyester resin, especially for "different" materials.

To me a good repair would include removing the tub, sanding a big area around the hole with 80 grit or more course paper, using the panel bond that davidlee mentioned above to glue the broken pieces in, followed by an ABS patch to support the pieces glued in with the same panel bond, and then a large patch of fiberglass matt applied with SMC resin.

If everything is sanded well this should last forever.

Then sand and finish the top side, using the panel bond as a filler to fill imperfections.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
we have a local tv add about a company out of Wichita who lazer measures your old bath tub and forms a new one that just sits over the top of your old one.. Have not seen any finished jobs but it came to mind for our 72 Overlander with a stained tub.

FYI,. Sodbust
If you could post a little more information on this company, it would be great!
Old 03-29-2015, 07:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
laser fitted bathtub repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
If you could post a little more information on this company, it would be great!
I have kept an eye open off our local TV station to see the bathtub add again but have not seen it.. I went to the TV web site,, KSN-TV | Wichita, KS News Weather and Sports | We've Got Your Back to see if they had a list of people who run adds on the station and cant find any links or list..

The tv add talks about using a laser tool to measure your old tub and then they use a vacu form system to mold a new tub to just lay over the top of the old one.. Thats all I know about the product.

If your not around the Wichita, Kansas area I would think some other A$ owner with the same year and model could be contacted to measure there tub and just ship the new tub too you.. Best of luck,, Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
I had the same results as TENNTEX I took the tub out and made the repair from the back, then fill any voids from the finished side, sanded and painted.
Good luck with such a large hole!
Derf
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
Hello Belegedhel im in north. Fla and there is an ad for Bath Fitters. I had a friend call them awhile back they came to her house and lazer measured her tub and surround. I dont know if hey are all over the country.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlee View Post
Im a bodyman and the new cars have a lot of abs parts and panels on them the auto body paint supply houses called panel bond you need a pice of the same type panel that is craked clean both sides by grinding and cleaning with thinner mix up enought epoxy panel bond and place the patch ocer the crack hope from the back side if not try getting the broken pices close togather and put a small coat then sand and apply final coat it will last.
Davidlee,

Great info! Had not thought about the fact that so much ABS is used in modern autos and it would need to be repaired. Much easier than trying to make a patch using ABS pipe and solvent.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So for you Fiberglassing Gurus out there, I have been trying to figure out which product to buy, and came across the SMC Fiberglass Resin made by Evercoat, vs. the West Marine Epoxy based fiberglass resin. Both are available to me locally with the Evercoat being the more pricey (surprisingly). Any further recommendations. Is ABS truly an SMC (Sheet Molded Compound)? The description of SMCs at the site below makes me wonder whether it is...

Fiberglass and Composite Repair | Fibre Glast
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What I can say about SMC is that it dries less brittle than standard polyester resin and it adheres (much) better to any surface I have applied it to.

I have not used it on ABS, but I have used it on the back of flexible bumpers where I would not use polyester resin.

ABS should hold it better than the bumpers, especially if sanded WELL with 80 grit or more course media.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Racine , Wisconsin
There is a company called Bath Fitter that does the same thing.

1972 Airstream International Land Yacht Sovereign
mrrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
I talked to a repair shop about my shower / tub and they recommended fiberglas mesh or fabric but to use two part epoxy instead of resin. I have not tried that yet. Good luck.
plbalza54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Blenheim , Ontario
Two weeks ago we got back from Algonquin and I noticed a hole in our tub. The culprit was a lawn chair. Went to local Rv shop and picked up some Devcon , fiberglass, porcelain and plastic repair kit. Its a 2 part epoxy resin with fibre glass mat. 1500 psi strength. Worked great. A little runny and gets hot to the touch when mixed. 5 min handling time, 20 min set and 24 hr cure time. Hope this helps.
Cyquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
I need to refinish my tub in my 1973 air stream it was stained bad from well water over the years I removed the tub and sink and surround very easy it has pop rivets under a trim with a plastic insert. Which I have not found yet to replace. Its vinyl insert. I repaired and sanded the tub went to lowes or home depot and bought a kit with two large cans of one step epoxy and refinished it. I cant believe how it looks and the finish is very durable. It would be the best way to repair from under side

Tags
sovereign