Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

hinges on wardrobe losen

I'm having a problem with the hinges always coming lose on the wardrobe cabinet. Are there any suggestions on how to keep them from coming lose? I just read an article on Euro hinges and I'm wondering if I should try to use these in place of what came with the Safari.
bfwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Running gear balance

Bob,

A different style hinge may help alleviate the symptoms, but check this thread for insight into the problem. Post #16 in the thread appears to parallel your issue. BTW, RivetED is aka Ed & Debbie.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Safari cabnetry

The Safari cabinets are what Airstream terms "light plywood", as were the cabinets in my 2003 International AS. This plywood is amazingly light, but it does not hold screws well, especially if they have ever been removed and replaced once.

I poked toothpicks dipped in glue in some of my loosest screw holes and it helped a lot. Worst case, drill a 1/4" hole partway through the door and glue in a piece of 1/4" birch dowel. Pre-drill the screw holes in the dowels so that the dowels do not split.

I might suggest that a set of Centramatic balancers will reduce the vibration that loosens things in the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The Safari cabinets are what Airstream terms "light plywood", as were the cabinets in my 2003 International AS. This plywood is amazingly light, but it does not hold screws well, especially if they have ever been removed and replaced once.

I poked toothpicks dipped in glue in some of my loosest screw holes and it helped a lot. Worst case, drill a 1/4" hole partway through the door and glue in a piece of 1/4" birch dowel. Pre-drill the screw holes in the dowels so that the dowels do not split.

I might suggest that a set of Centramatic balancers will reduce the vibration that loosens things in the trailer.
John

The last thing I was have guessed was a vibration problem, I assumed that the trailer gets bounced around on the road. What type of hinges did you use?
bfwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wozniak
John

The last thing I was have guessed was a vibration problem, I assumed that the trailer gets bounced around on the road. What type of hinges did you use?
I just used the hinges that came on the trailer and tried to reinforce the holes in the lightweight plywood. I didn't see any problem with the hinges ... just the holes in the weak plywood.

As far as balancers go, I no longer have screws on light fixtures looseniung, so it should help equally with screws in the wood.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Good idea!

screws don't come loose without something working on them Trailer wheel hubs aren't known for being balanced and have caused other problems. See Andy's (inlandrv.com) thing on balancing. The Centramatic balancers seem to be a better solution.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote