Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Hinge question

Two of my seven top hinges on the fold-down storage doors under the gaucho have broken. Any suggestions of where I can find new ones or suggestions of what I can use as a substitute? (I tried a piano hinge, but it didn't line up quite as evenly as the existing plastic hinges). I figured I'd replace the two, but buy enough for the others, as they are sure to wear out soon as well. 3 doors are 24" wide; 4 are 18" wide. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Outside.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	109097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Inside.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	109098  

MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
The only plastic hinges I have fond are for coolers (igloo and coleman). They aren't as long, but they are quite strong.
tschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Do AS dealers have them?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
I had the same problem with the hinged covers under my beds. I left the (breaking) hinge in place and; from the back side, covered the hinge area with a double layer of canvas and stapled the 7734 out of it. If you staple close to the center of the hinge on both pieces, you can't see the canvas from the front and the hatch cover hangs at the proper height - no sag and no-one will ever see the patch.
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstream View Post
I had the same problem with the hinged covers under my beds. I left the (breaking) hinge in place and; from the back side, covered the hinge area with a double layer of canvas and stapled the 7734 out of it. If you staple close to the center of the hinge on both pieces, you can't see the canvas from the front and the hatch cover hangs at the proper height - no sag and no-one will ever see the patch.
Thanks, Arrowstream. Sounds like a good solution, and one that I will consider if I can't find the right plastic hinges.

On a side note, it's a small world. I used to live in Lexington, right outside of Irmo (in SC).
Old 08-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
Two of my seven top hinges on the fold-down storage doors under the gaucho have broken. Any suggestions of where I can find new ones or suggestions of what I can use as a substitute? (I tried a piano hinge, but it didn't line up quite as evenly as the existing plastic hinges). I figured I'd replace the two, but buy enough for the others, as they are sure to wear out soon as well. 3 doors are 24" wide; 4 are 18" wide. Thanks!
The doors can inverted, and the held in place with a piano hinge, at the bottom.

Many owners have done that.

No more plastic.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Columbia , South Carolina
I'm guessing that Montana's a little cooler than Irmo right now (95+, but it's a moist heat). If you can find a fabric that's about the same color as the hinge, it'll blend in better. I'm trying to re-build a 1970 trailer on a budget and I suppose that some people may not agree with my shortcuts, but my goal is to make it functional and appear original without being a frame off restoration.
My new motto may be "that's not crooked, that's character"
Arrowstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowstream View Post
I'm guessing that Montana's a little cooler than Irmo right now (95+, but it's a moist heat). If you can find a fabric that's about the same color as the hinge, it'll blend in better. I'm trying to re-build a 1970 trailer on a budget and I suppose that some people may not agree with my shortcuts, but my goal is to make it functional and appear original without being a frame off restoration.
My new motto may be "that's not crooked, that's character"
Yes. A little cooler in Montana (only got up to 59 today), but summers are way too short.

The first shortcut I tried on this project was ye olde Duct Tape, but it did not do the trick. The more I think about your idea, the better I like it. In fact, I was thinking that even a piece of upholstery vinyl might work as well and match the wood.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The doors can inverted, and the held in place with a piano hinge, at the bottom.

Many owners have done that.

No more plastic.

Andy
Thanks Andy
I have the same issue in our "new" 1970 Overlander with the doors under the mid double gaucho. If you invert the doors, what sort of latch thingamabob keeps it shut?
Cathy
GumbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyGirl View Post
Thanks Andy
I have the same issue in our "new" 1970 Overlander with the doors under the mid double gaucho. If you invert the doors, what sort of latch thingamabob keeps it shut?
Cathy
You realize this thread is 6 years old? Fortunately, Andy is still active and will hopefully get an email about being quoted. Welcome to the forum and good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Brookings , Oregon
LOL yes I did realize that but I followed the rules and did the search and still had the question . I figured He'll pop in eventually and maybe it'll work out.
GumbyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote