Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Help Needed.. Bulkhead dimension & placement

I am at the point of replacing the bulkhead walls. Unfortunately, the PO took out the bathroom wall and I am at a loss as to its placement.

1. Does the bulkhead wall immediately behind the tub "the wet wall" go all the way to the floor, and the top tub flange mounts to it? Or...is the wall cutout around the tub, and the tub flange mounts behind it with the bottom of the wall sealed against the tub?

2. What is the distance between the aforementioned tub "wet wall" and the bedroom wall ajacent to it. The two of them together create the pocket for the bathroom sliding door.

This is a 76 Argosy.
Thanks in advance to all. This is really holding my progress up as I am working from back to front on replacing everything.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Can anyone help with this?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I think part of the answer depends on how you're building the wall. Another part depends on how thick the track for the sliding door is.

The sliding door track will determine the thickness of the wall. It needs to be able to fit in between the skins of the wall. I would think that if you're making the skins out of 1/4" plywood, that should provide enough support for the track and door. May want to test that theory first though, and add additional support if needed, like maybe using 1/2" ply or adding framing inside the wall to support the track. All depends on how heavy the track and door is. If the door sits in a track on the floor and doesn't just hang from the overhead track, then you have much less weight to support.

If you look here at posts 268 & 269 (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-50967-20.html), you'll see how we're building the wall between the bath and bedroom. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

If the wet side of the wall is plywood that you will cover with something waterproof (which is what we're doing), then I think the plywood or frame part of the wall should go to the floor. That will help keep the majority of the wall weight off the lip of the tub. Then the covering (fiberglass panels in our case) will attach to the plywood and overlap the lip on the tub. It'll be caulked well to prevent water leaking in behind the fiberglass.

If the wet wall is just a waterproof panel, then the panel should go over the lip of the tub so you can seal it properly.

Hope that helps.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Thanks Chris! I've already constructed the bulkheads (hardwood 1/4" ply, stained and three thick coats of spar urethane), and will be reusing the existing pocketdoor mechanicals. My main problem was the position of the wetwall, I would prefer that it go to the floor, but it does not seem to fit that way. It may be possible that when I replaced the interior skin sections, the curve that they formed is not true to the original and forced the tub back further than original. So, I am faced with a decision to replace the walls in their original position and cut around the tub, or move the wall forward 2 inches and move the rest of the interior items forward to accomodate? Anyway, was just trying to determine the original config. To set my mind at ease. Thank you again for your help, and those pics in your other thread are awesome!
Matt